Job Opening: Senior Communications Manager, GreatSchools
Senior Communications Manager
GreatSchools is looking for an energetic, communications go-getter to help us achieve our mission of improving educational outcomes for kids by inspiring and supporting parents to be their champions. This is an exceptional opportunity to apply your passion and marketing communications know-how to support a cause that helps families, schools, and the nation at large.
In this pivotal role, you will support fundraising, mission impact and brand building by helping define the ideas that communicate the story of GreatSchools and bringing them to life in a consistent, compelling and memorable way. This will include developing internal and external materials for a range of audiences: education influencers, current and prospective funders, partners, parents and teachers, schools and school systems, corporations, media, staff and volunteers.
Strong candidates will be assertive, versatile, and work well in a fast-paced environment.
This position reports to the VP of Marketing and directly supports the CEO and Director of Development.
· Contribute to brand message development and management. Work with CEO, leadership team, board members and outside advisors to ensure that we have crisp and compelling messaging that describes who we are, what we do and why we are successful.
· Create and edit effective communications and collateral materials (e.g. case studies/success stories, corporate newsletters, demos, blog entries, webinars, annual reports, pamphlets/brochures, one-sheets, whitepapers, and PPTs), coordinating with appropriate internal and external resources.
· Develop and execute proactive public relations campaigns that raise the visibility of the organization and build our brand among potential funders, sponsors and partners as well as the public at large, with an emphasis on deepening relationships in key communities and states to further our mission.
· Serve as the primary point person for day-to-day media relations efforts, working with external advisors, PR firms, our management team and designated GreatSchools spokespeople.
· Contribute to grant proposals and reports by providing core language to describe the organization and its accomplishments and ensuring that the documents are well-organized and persuasive.
· Ensure the "About Us" section of our website, our corporate blog, and our official social media programs promote the ideas we want to be known for and reflect the organization's core values, mission and vision.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- BA / BS, Masters a plus
- 5+ years' experience in marketing communications, media relations, or related field for a high-visibility national organization
- Background in education and experience with foundation relations preferred
- Superior written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Strong editing and proofreading skills, attention to detail
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive prose
- Strong time management skills and ability to multi-task
- Understanding of PR events/conferences/tradeshows, speaker and award submissions processes
- Ability to adapt your writing style to various audiences education influencers, funders/investors, parents/consumers, media/journalists.
· Excellent people skills to interact with other colleagues and cross-functional teams, and third parties, including advisors, media, vendors and partners
Please submit your cover letter, wage requirements, resume and 2-3 writing samples here. Your cover letter should include the reasons why you want to work for GreatSchools. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please. This is a full-time position that can be based in either San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace.
Founded in 1998, GreatSchools is a national nonprofit that helps parents get a great education for their children. Our programs combine the broad reach of digital media with the power of community partnerships. This year we will reach more than 43 million people, including nearly half of all American households with school-age children.
Our Webby award-winning website, GreatSchools.org, helps families make crucial decisions about where to live and where to send their children to school. With profiles of 200,000 public and private schools and more than one million parent ratings and reviews, GreatSchools.org is the nation's leading guide to PreK-12 schools. In addition, GreatSchools.org offers thousands of articles, videos and worksheets that give parents practical ideas and tools to support their children's learning.
Headquartered in San Francisco, GreatSchools operates field offices in Indianapolis, Milwaukee and Washington, DC.