Job Opening: Charter School Growth Fund - Director of Communications
Position: Director of Communications
Reports to: Partner
Location: Denver/Boulder, CO
The Charter School Growth Fund ("CSGF") is a non-profit fund that invests in the nation's highest-performing charter school operators to dramatically expand their impact on underserved students. Founded by national philanthropists to transform K-12 education, CSGF has invested in over 30 charter school management organizations ("CMOs") that represent some of the most innovative and successful public school networks in the United States.
CSGF is seeking a Director of Communications to join its dynamic and growing team. The right candidate will have a results orientation, strong communication and analytical skills, and the capacity to manage complex projects and think strategically. The Director of Communications will develop and execute on an integrated strategy that enhances CSGF's profile and communication with current and potential investors, portfolio members and other relevant stakeholders.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity to develop professionally, contribute meaningfully to a unique organization, and gain a deeper understanding of entrepreneurs who are working to change K-12 education. While experience in K-12 education is not a requirement, CSGF seeks people who are passionate about and committed to K-12 education reform.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Developing and writing new grant proposals to potential funders, who are typically large foundations and high net worth individuals actively investing in K-12 education
· Managing donor reporting and communications, engaging with funders, ensuring timely grant reporting, and creating CSGF's annual reports
· Developing and managing CSGF's brand and external communication, with support from its public relations firm and design/website vendors
· Overseeing, developing and/or editing written and visual content included in CSGF's marketing materials, website and social media to project consistent messaging that reflects CSGF's values and mission
· Collaborating with team members to implement a new internal strategy to facilitate the sharing of best practices among CSGF's portfolio of high-performing charter management organizations
· Working closely with the team on portfolio-wide events and ad hoc projects
· Superior written communication skills, including business or grant writing experience
· Strong project management experience and a passion for detail that drives efficiency and excellence in all aspects of work
· Demonstrated experience developing and executing an effective, multi-tiered communication strategy and plan
· 5-7 years of work experience, preferably including development experience and communication strategy/implementation work, but can also include corporate strategy or management consulting
· Highly organized and able to work in a fast paced environment
· Experienced and comfortable in a variety of situations, interacting with prominent investors
· Deep interest in helping transform K-12 public education
· An advanced degree (MBA, JD, etc.) is preferred
Personal Qualities CSGF Core Values
· Results. We work relentlessly to create efficient, measurable, and sustainable results. We strive for excellence and pursue our mission tenaciously. Candidate should have the ability to work in a self-directed manner in a fluid environment where flexibility and tenacity are required.
· Entrepreneurship. We embrace calculated risks and new approaches. We have an entrepreneurial spirit that welcomes innovation, diversity of ideas, and risk. Candidate should be willing to question conventional wisdom and think independently.
· Integrity. We are truthful, fair, and trustworthy in all aspects of our work. We hold ourselves and our partners to the highest ethical standards.
· Respect. We appreciate the challenges faced by education entrepreneurs and recognize the limits of our own knowledge. We understand that our ultimate success is dependent upon the achievements of our partners.
· Teamwork. We value each of our team members as individuals but believe that we achieve the greatest results by working together. We willingly sacrifice individual interests and recognition for greater collective impact. Candidate should have a great sense of humor and enjoy being a team player.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and education. CSGF offers a very competitive benefits package and this position is eligible for an incentive bonus.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample via email to: jobsmarketing@....
Additional Information - Charter School Growth Fund
In its first fund ("Fund I"), CSGF raised over $86 million for its growth fund from a small number of leading national foundations. In Fund I, CSGF invested in over 20 portfolio members that are on track to serve an additional 100,000 students by 2015. Members of CSGF's portfolio were selected from over 350 applicants and are among the highest performing school operators in the nation.
Based on the success of its portfolio and investment track record, CSGF launched a second fund ("Fund II") in late 2010 that is investing in 40-45 new and existing CMOs to enable them to serve an additional 225,000 students over the next several years. Since launching the new fund, CSGF has secured over $140M of new commitments (nearly 90% of its five-year, $160M target) from a small number of prominent foundations and high-net-worth individuals that will be invested over the life of Fund II.
In addition, CSGF recently launched new state funds in Florida and Tennessee that are public/private partnerships designed to develop a set of high-performing CMOs that can expand and serve more students in those states. CSGF's two state funds are investing an additional $45M in 10-12 CMOs to help launch 50 new schools to serve approximately 25,000 students in Tennessee and Florida.
CSGF is governed by a board of prominent philanthropists and investors committed to the belief that outstanding charter schools can help transform K-12 education in our country to better serve all students.
The Charter School Growth Fund is an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage diverse applicants to apply.
For more information, visit www.chartergrowthfund.org.