Job Opening: Rocketship Education - Vice President, Bay Area
Position Description: Vice President, Bay Area
Founded in 2006, Rocketship Education (www.rsed.org) is a California-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation whose mission is to eliminate the achievement gap by building a national school system of K-5 charter schools. Rocketship Education is the leading public school system for low-income elementary students. In pioneering its transformative public school model, Rocketship has delivered exceptional academic results through a focus on developing outstanding educators, empowering parents to advocate for their children and communities, and individualizing instruction for all students.
Rocketship strives to eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetimes by partnering with cities, school districts, and communities across the US that share a similar sense of urgency. By bringing Rocketship schools to thousands of low-income students and inspiring other public school systems to adopt similar practices for high-quality, scalable impact, this ambitious goal is attainable.
Rocketship Bay Area is Rocketship Education's founding region. Launched as one school in 2006, in 2013, the Bay Area will be a network of nine schools in San Jose serving almost 5,000 students and their families. Within five years, the region will represent over thirty schools in the Bay Area and serve over 15,000 Rocketeers. This is a unique opportunity to build and lead Rocketship's anchor region and contribute with Rocketship Education's executive staff in building a regional model that will be replicated across the nation. This is an opportunity to visibly demonstrate to communities throughout the Bay Area and the nation that it is possible to eliminate the achievement gap in a major city and region.
Rocketship's Vice President of the Bay Area is responsible for the academic, operational, and financial success of the Bay Area area schools. The Vice President leads a team of Rocketeers including regional staff, school leaders, and teachers towards achievement gap closing results for students throughout the Bay Area. The Vice President will grow our impact from nine schools in 2012 to over thirty schools within five years as we work to eliminate the elementary achievement gap in California. Internally, the Vice President manages the regional leadership team that supports school staff, ensures strong and strategic financial management, and partners with national staff to build the best supports for schools possible. Externally, the Vice President builds deep community engagement and fosters public and political support for Rocketship to expand our impact as we work to build first class options for all parents. The Vice President reports to the Chief Schools Officer and leads a fifteen person team.
- Possess the core characteristics required of every Rocketeer mission-driven, innovative, disciplined thinker, collaborative, and personally responsible
- Effectively manage the Rocketship Bay Area network by ensuring that schools deliver outstanding results for students, parents, and staff within revenue and cost targets
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the region which integrates national initiatives, quality improvement priorities, and high quality expansion plans in San Jose and the entire Bay Area
- Set clear goals and metrics for the Bay Area region and ensure the team executes their day-to-day job
- Partner with the Rocketship National Team to develop systems, training, structures, and supports for schools and school staff
- Recruit, train, and develop top-caliber leadership, faculty, and staff - build a leadership pipeline for the Bay Area region and the organization as a whole
- Serve as the public face and voice of Rocketship Bay Area; create a favorable political landscape for expansion; supervise public relations efforts, work and collaborate with districts and superintendents; and partner with community leaders and mission-aligned organizations throughout the Bay Area to ensure Rocketship's growth is realized and contributing positively within the community
- Promote a culture of achievement, excellence, mutual respect, and collaboration throughout the region
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
· Visionary thinking and strategic management skills, including: planning, directing, building, reporting, and budgeting
· Excellent relationship management skills working with a diverse set of stakeholders (i.e.: districts, public officials, funders, community leaders, etc.)
· 7+ years of management experience, preferably in the field of education reform and a high-growth environments
· Proven track record of managing outstanding results through teams in a distributed network
· Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
· Outstanding communication, influencing, and negotiating skills
· Experience leading in a fluid, start-up environment; optimism, perseverance, and a focus on problem-solving highly valued
· Proven leadership skills with the ability to attract, develop, and inspire a team; exceptional ability to bridge and enhance cooperative working relationships
· A bachelor's degree is required, and a graduate degree in education, business, or communications preferred
The ideal candidate will also possess some combination of the following:
· Proven ability to attract, train, and retain high-performance management and faculty, removing barriers to their success, and providing them the inspiration, motivation, and resources to accomplish the mission
· Proven ability to adapt and thrive in a rapidly growing and changing environment
· Experience in growing and evolving an organization, including the development and management of the infrastructure to facilitate an innovative, high-functioning, and rapidly-growing region or team
· Experience in educational reform and knowledge of the public charter school model and knowledge of its funding and infrastructure; demonstrated excellence in managing an educational organization or as a school leader in an urban setting
· Business acumen and proven financial management/oversight
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403(b) retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and paid time off.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please go to http://www.rsed.org to submit your resume.
Rocketship Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Education complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Education expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Education's employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.