Job Opening: Rocketship Education: Community Outreach Manager
Founded in 2006, Rocketship Education (www.rsed.org) is a California-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation whose mission is to eliminate the achievement gap by building a national school system of K-5 charter schools. Rocketship Education is the leading public school system for low-income elementary students. In pioneering its transformative public school model, Rocketship has delivered exceptional academic results through a focus on developing outstanding educators, empowering parents to advocate for their children and communities, and individualizing instruction for all students.
Rocketship strives to eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetimes by partnering with cities, school districts, and communities across the US that share a similar sense of urgency. By bringing Rocketship schools to thousands of low-income students and inspiring other public school systems to adopt similar practices for high-quality, scalable impact, this ambitious goal is attainable.
The Community Outreach Manager for the Bay Area region will start as soon as November 2012 to serve seven existing schools and two proposed school sites scheduled to open in August 2013. The Community Outreach Manager will be responsible for initiating and strengthening relationships in the community to help schools open fully enrolled.
The Community Outreach Manager is a full time, exempt position that reports to the Director of Community Development for the Bay Area Region. They manage parent volunteers and school staff with frequent interaction with current and prospective Rocketship families. The Community Outreach Manager should always exhibit professionalism, treat people with respect, and be firm but compassionate in the way that they interact with the community and prospective families.
Responsibilities will include creating and executing a strategic student recruitment plan that includes but is not limited to:
- developing marketing and messaging campaign; and a recruitment project plan with clear milestones
- identifying efficient, sustainable, high-yield strategies to recruit new students to Rocketship that communicate our mission and produce widespread, early buy-in
- recruiting and training a team of Rocketship Parent Ambassadors to effectively recruit students and families living in the neighborhoods surrounding new Rocketship sites, while simultaneously informing the community about the achievement gap and need for great schools
- ensuring school opens with full enrollment and a robust waitlist in every grade by recruiting kindergarten through fifth grade students to form the student body
- coordinating winter and spring lotteries in collaboration with the Director of Business and answer questions related to applications and the lottery process
- assisting Principal and Office Managers during Welcome Meetings for families of accepted students
- overseeing the collection of enrollment documents from accepted students and ensure diligent follow up with accepted and waitlisted families
- Creating and regularly updating a training manual to assist in training principals, office managers and parents
- Managing school teams by setting weekly/monthly recruitment goals, backwards planning, and tracking progress in real-time
Parents and Community
- Build & maintain strong working relationships with current and prospective families
- Assist in the selection of staff and volunteers integral to support the growth of RSED schools
- Identify, initiate and maintain strong working relationships with non-profit executives, business owners, neighborhood leaders and other community stakeholders
Data Tracking & Reporting
â Gain expert proficiency in navigating ROLLS student enrollment system & generating reports as needed
â Design and maintain goal-tracking forms
â Track weekly, monthly and annual performance for each school and reliably report progress
â Communicate progress for each school consistently through the weekly Launcher and in quarterly reports
â Familiarity with the community (this includes but is not limited to CBOs, community leaders, school leaders, early childhood education resources)
â Knowledge and cultural competence of the local student and parent community
â Highly developed interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
â Organizational skills and ability to manage multiple critical deadlines with resourceful confidence and detail orientation
â Comfort in a start-up environment with flexible roles and ability to work independently with minimal direction
â Ability to use a variety of software programs and quickly learn new ones
â Managerial skills preferred
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply, please go to our website www.rsed.org to submit an online application.
Rocketship Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Education complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Education expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Education's employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.