Job opening: GreatSchools seeks director of advertising sales
- Director of Advertising Sales
San Francisco, CA
GreatSchools Inc., and its online media property GreatSchools.net,
is the nation's premier provider of K-12 school information. Our
mission is to help parents choose the best school for their children,
support their children's education and improve schools. We are an
Internet-based nonprofit organization made possible by the generous
support of foundations and corporations, including the Pisces
Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Washington
Mutual, Inc. and the NewSchools Venture Fund.
Our organization's dedicated and talented team is headquartered
in the SOMA area of downtown San Francisco. Our online guide to K-12
schools will serve about 8 million users this year and is accessed at
www.greatschools.net and through co-branded partnerships with a
growing list of major media properties, including Yahoo, AOL, MSN,
and the Los Angeles Times.
As the most-trafficked online K-12 school resource, GreatSchools
reaches a wide audience of education-minded parents. GreatSchools has
established a significant advertising business with partners
interested in reaching this demographic and is looking to hire an
individual who can take the business to the next level. Most
importantly, the Director will be responsible for identifying and
closing new advertising prospects. The Director will also be
responsible for developing a program to attract corporate sponsors.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in online ad sales,
with exceptional selling skills and a proven record of meeting and
exceeding sales targets. The position will report to the Vice
President of Business Operations.
· Identify and initiate contact with advertising prospects; assess
customers' needs; produce proposals; negotiate deals; and ensure
successful delivery of advertising campaigns
· Manage all communications, scheduling and approvals between the
client/agency and internal team throughout the implementation process
· Maintain accounts and deliver superior customer service to our
· Perform analysis to identify trends and support improved ROI of
· Develop summaries of each campaign's performance for clients
· Develop and implement corporate sponsorship program
· Play tactical/strategic role in identifying current and future
back-end resources required to successfully manage the business (e.g.
systems, reporting tools, processes, etc.)
· Work with Operations Coordinator to produce internal
daily/weekly/monthly campaign reports, weekly/monthly sales reports
and other essential reports
· Interface with technology group to outline requirements for
· Assist in the testing and roll out of new campaigns
Experience & Skills Required:
· Bachelors degree with 3-5 years online ad sales experience
· Thorough understanding of Internet advertising and marketing,
including pricing structures (CPM, CPC, CPA CPL, etc.) and media
types (banners, email, popunders, etc).
· Positive work ethic, attentive to details and team-oriented
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
· Experience managing and growing an advertising business within a
small, start-up environment is a strong plus
· Familiarity with the K-12 market and/or nonprofit experience
Total annual compensation, including commissions: $75-85K, DOE.
Additional outperform bonuses possible in the event annual sales
targets are exceeded.
Please email a cover letter and resume to jobs@..., with
"Advertising Director" in the subject line. Applications
without cover letters will not be considered.