Job Opening: Database Architect - Aspire Public Schools
- Aspire Public Schools is a nonprofit organization that currently operates 34 high-performing,
open-enrollment public charter schools serving 12,000 students in underserved communities
across California and will open schools in Memphis, TN in fall, 2013. Aspire is one of the
highest-performing public school systems in California, delivering a rigorous `College for
Certain' education to students in grades K-12. An unrelenting focus on college preparedness led
to 100 percent of graduating Aspire seniors being accepted to four year colleges or universities in
2010, 2011 and 2012. Aspire offers a high-quality education in six cities throughout California:
Los Angeles, Oakland, Stockton, Sacramento, Modesto and East Palo Alto. Visit Aspire Public
Schools at www.aspirepublicschools.org.
The Database Architect will play a critical role in the success of Aspire's technology program to provide better ways for Aspire teammates to access the information they need to take actions that increase student achievement and success. The Architect will serve as a key organizational resource for defining technical requirements, selecting appropriate technology vendors, and developing and maintaining a useful data warehouse and reporting tools. The Database Architect will also be responsible for supporting existing database systems and performing data analysis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Develop, articulate and promulgate an architectural framework to support new data integration and data warehousing efforts
2. Gather technical requirements through interviews and analysis of existing applications and databases, and distill into meaningful deliverables
3. Evaluate technology vendors and products based on business and technical requirements and provide recommendations
4. Work effectively with vendors during implementation and maintenance of data integration, data warehouse, and reporting solutions
5. Maintain and enhance existing database systems
6. Perform data analysis using SQL tools and more complex reporting tools
7. Work collaboratively with project and information technology staff
8. Mentor technical support staff
9. Personify Aspire's values of collaboration, ownership, quality, customer service, and purposefulness; and support the mission and vision of Aspire Public Schools
10. Perform other related duties as required and assigned
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
Strong relational database development skills: requirements, architecture, design, implementation, and maintenance.
Working knowledge of data warehouse concepts, including dimensional modeling and ETL tools
Demonstrated knowledge of how to implement appropriate security measures in databases
Ability to learn new areas of knowledge quickly and thoroughly
Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues at all levels of the organization
Talent for listening, asking effective questions, and synthesizing technical information into an understandable form
Proven track record as an efficient team player
2) Minimum educational level:
Bachelors degree in computer science or related field
3) Experience required:
3+ years designing and implementing databases in business, education, or nonprofit environment, preferably using Microsoft SQL Server.
Actively participated in the full life-cycle of web application development (custom or customized), ideally in an agile development environment
How To Apply:
To learn more about our schools and this specific opening, please go to http://careers.aspirepublicschools.org Aspire Public Schools, where you can submit an online application.
- Aspire Public Schools' Godzilla Team solves big, hairy technology problems to get our schools and teachers the data they need to close the achievement gap. Our tools are actively sought out by other school districts and our people influence the Ed Tech conversation at the national level. Check out schoolzilla.org to get a sense of the scope of our work. We're hiring a Database Architect , whose role will be to maintain and expand the data warehouse and business intelligence systems that support data driven decision making by our teachers, principals, and administrators.