Job posting: Communications Associate at KIPP Bay Area Schools
- Communications AssociateKIPP Bay Area SchoolsAbout KIPP Bay Area SchoolsIn the San Francisco Bay Area, five KIPP middle schools and two KIPP high schools are closing the achievement gap between low-income students and their more advantaged peers. These tuition-free, college-preparatory schools are located in the under-served neighborhoods of Bayview Hunters Point and the Western Addition in San Francisco, East San Jose, San Lorenzo, and West Oakland. Our mission is to ensure our students develop the knowledge, skills, and character needed to succeed in college and the competitive world beyond.KIPP (The Knowledge is Power Program) began in 1994 in Houston, Texas. Today, there are 109 KIPP schools in 20 states and Washington, D.C. serving more than 33,000 students. KIPP Bay Area Schools currently serves 2,500 students through its seven schools, with a total of 225 employees and annual revenue of $25 million.Position OverviewThe Communications Associate will be responsible for supporting KIPP Bay Area Schools’ marketing, communications, and development needs. The Communications Associate will work cross-functionally within the organization, to represent the voice of KIPP Bay Area Schools among various audiences. The Communications Associate will prepare marketing materials, manage our website and social media presence, participate in our public relations efforts, and support development communications, events, and special projects.The Communications Associate must have expert writing and editing skills. He/she will play a critical role as the primary copywriter across print and digital platforms and ensure that all communications consistently promote the organization’s brand. The role will also require excellent communication skills, meticulous attention to detail, a commitment to accuracy, and strong project management skills.This position will be located at our Regional Support Office (RSO) in Oakland and report to the Development Manager.Roles and ResponsibilitiesThe Communications Associate position will include the following roles and responsibilities:Manage external communications· Prepare marketing collateral. Write and edit copy for annual report, brochures, school profiles, and other external materials to promote and inform various audiences about KIPP Bay Area Schools. Work with third-party vendors as appropriate to manage materials and print orders.· Manage social media presence. Maintain our Twitter feed and Facebook page, including curating relevant news and stories from our schools and the broader KIPP network.· Maintain website. Work with schools and regional departments to maintain fresh and relevant content. Track traffic and trends of website using analytics tools.· Support media relations. Work closely with our public relations manager to develop and support positive media and stories about KIPP Bay Area Schools. Monitor media for relevant news and mentions.· Contribute to communications strategy. Plan and maintain communications calendar, improve internal processes, and work with team to build and execute a robust communications plan.· Own and enforce brand. Manage and enforce KIPP Bay Area Schools brand and style guidelines. Work closely with contract graphic designers to execute projects across print and digital media that reflect the KIPP Bay Area Schools brand.Support development and donor-related efforts· Prepare grant proposals and reports. Work with development team to write proposals and reports for major foundations and corporations.· Write and produce donor newsletters. Source contributions across organization and write donor-facing communications, for both electronic and print distribution.· Prepare development and event-related collateral. Assist with creating invitations and event-related materials.Manage events and special projects· Support events management. Work closely with the development team to produce high quality and engaging events for prospective donors and critical audiences.· Support special projects. Work closely with Executive Director, Chief Growth Officer, or broader team to manage and coordinate special initiatives and projects as needed.Skills and Qualifications
· Writing. Excellent writing and editing skills, including flexibility to write in different styles for various audiences.
· Communications. Exemplary communication skills (written, aural and oral).
· Attention to detail. Meticulous attention to detail, commitment to accuracy, and a high quality bar.
· Project management. Exceptional organizational and project management skills. Able to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals to create manageable work plans and initiate process improvements. Strong achievement orientation with exceptional time management skills and demonstrated ability to multi-task.Additional Characteristics
· Articulate, polished and professional demeanor with strong work ethic, self-confidence, initiative, and leadership skills
· Comfort with working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Interest in continuing to develop skills and learning from others
· Flexibility and willingness to contribute when necessary on projects outside of own department
· Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships
· Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Schools’ mission
· Embody core values: passion, innovation, resourcefulness, respect, effective communication, impactSalaryCompetitive salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience.How to ApplyPlease send your resume and a detailed cover letter describing your interest in working for KIPP Bay Area Schools and your unique qualifications for the position, to hr@... with “Communications Associate” in the subject line. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.The deadline for submission is end of day on Thursday, July 12, but we will begin to review cover letters and resumes as they are received.