Job opening: 9th grade Academic Literacy Teacher at Envision Academy in Oakland
Envision Schools is hiring a 9th grade Academic Literacy Teacher for the 2012-2013 academic year at Envision Academy in Oakland! Come join an organization dedicated to transforming the lives of urban students!
Who We Are
Envision Schools was founded in 2002 on this simple idea:
To close the academic achievement gap and improve outcomes for underserved students, we need to redesign the entire high school experience.
We believe the current achievement gap reflects a systemic failure to understand how kids learn, what motivates them to learn, and what they need in order to learn well. We employ the best practices of high school design rigorous college-preparatory curricula, small and personalized learning environments, and a focus on measurable resultsand add a truly innovative model that emphasizes project-based learning, development of Deeper Learning skills, integration of arts and technology into core subjects, real-world experience in workplaces, and a uniquely rigorous assessment system.
Each Envision school employs specific learning tactics built upon the four key R's: Rigor, Relevance, Relationships, and Results.
Vibrant learning communities apply compassion and high expectations to inspire and empower students. Our approach is specifically designed to increase student engagement, deepen integration and understanding, promote active learning, and ensure college success.
We hold all our students to rigorous academic standards while providing the necessary supportsacademic, emotional, and behavioralso they can achieve success in college and life.
Who You Are
We are looking for passionate teachers who are committed to working with urban students in small, academically rigorous high schools that use project-based learning, art and technology, holistic grading, and performance assessments to engage students in learning.
Key Qualities and Expectations of an Envision Schools Teacher:
- Understands and applies effective strategies and best practices to ensure student success
- Has a strong classroom stance and embodies a "warm demander" approach to classroom management
- Implements project, problem and/or inquiry-based instruction aligned with standards and outcome based/performance assessments
- Provides active & rigorous experiences for students
- Maintains high expectations for all students and believes all students can be successful in college
- Plans for various student needs (including use of developmentally appropriate materials)
- Uses & integrates arts and technology in classroom and project instruction
- Demonstrates a clear commitment to adult development and learning, dialogue, collaboration and growth in his/her professional practice
- Acts as an Advisor to a group of students act as an advocate for students' needs with family members and within the school community.
- Experience in, and commitment to, urban education and working with youth of color.
All Envision Schools teachers can expect the following:
- Small school environment
- Classrooms equipped with state-of-the-art-technology and a laptop computer for professional use
- Membership in a professional learning community that fosters respect, trust, risk-taking, an openness to learning and the sharing of ideas, and continuously improving practice
- Collaboration as a member of a team that often includes guest artists and/or experts from the community in the designing of projects, curriculum and student outcomes
- To know their students well, develop a strong sense of community in the classroom, and personalize each student's learning experience
- To meet cooperatively with parents on a scheduled basis to share information about their students and the school
- Bachelor's Degree
- Valid California Single Subject Teaching Credential in English, or out of state equivalent
- Other credential areas will be considered if the candidate has a strong focus on/experience in literacy
To apply, submit an online application via www.envisionschools.org/apply
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.