Job Opening: College Coach (Atlanta, GA) - Beyond 12
Title: College Coach (Atlanta, GA)
Reports to: Coach Manager
Employment Status: Full-Time
Beyond 12 is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to increase the number of low-income, first generation, and historically underrepresented students who graduate from our nation’s colleges and universities. Beyond 12 has partnered with the Hispanic Scholarship Fund to support their Georgia Opportunities Program. The inaugural class of scholarship recipients will begin their college career in Fall 2012. The goal of the program is to ensure college retention by supporting the scholars through their transition from high school to college and ensuring that they are prepared for college graduation.
Beyond 12 is seeking dynamic, talented and entrepreneurial recent college graduates who are interested in making a difference in the lives of students from underserved backgrounds and incorporating service into their careers. Coaches will work with Georgia students who will be attending colleges and universities both in-state and around the country. Coaches will work primarily from our Atlanta office, with several travel opportunities to our headquarters in San Francisco, California. Coaches will initially meet face-to-face with students during a summer orientation program and will subsequently be in weekly contact with their students via email, phone, Facebook, video Skype and text messaging. Ultimately, coaches will help students make the most of their college experience by encouraging them to become academically and socially engaged in campus life. Beyond 12 coaches not only have the opportunity to impact individual students, but also develop valuable leadership and management skills. Ideal candidates are interested in incorporating service into their careers and are passionate about ensuring that all students achieve their potential.
Since students of the Georgia Opportunities Program are from the Georgia area and many will be attending in-state colleges and universities, ideal candidates attended colleges and universities in Georgia and live in and/or are willing to relocate to the Atlanta area.
· Establish and build relationships with assigned students to help them navigate the transition from high school to college, beginning with a summer orientation program in Georgia in June/July designed to introduce students to the tools that will help them successfully transition to college
· Maintain regular contact with assigned students by scheduling weekly coaching sessions to deliver personalized, motivating and actionable guidance consistent with Beyond 12’s coaching curriculum
· Work with students to identify and overcome obstacles that prevent them from succeeding
· Provide perspective on college life and act as a facilitator, guiding students to appropriate campus resources and helping them understand the commitment necessary to succeed
· Maintain current and accurate information about all assigned students
· Work with Beyond 12’s leadership team to identify and improve on personal areas of growth and participate in professional development activities
· Contribute to the development of a growing, fast-paced organization
· Preference will be given to applicants who attended colleges or universities in Georgia.
· Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
· Demonstrated leadership and achievement in academic, extracurricular, volunteer or professional settings
· Experience working with first generation college students and/or students from underserved backgrounds
· Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
· Strong organizational and time-management skills
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office, and a good grasp of web and mobile communication tools
· Preference for bilingual candidates who speak English and Spanish
· Live in Atlanta, but able to travel 10-15% of the time to San Francisco, California
· Position begins on May 7, 2012
· Strong commitment to Beyond 12’s mission and vision
· Independent, highly organized and detail-oriented
· Energetic, hard-working and enthusiastic team player
· Commitment to achieving measurable results
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Beyond 12 offers outstanding benefits, including health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, 401(k), and a competitive salary (commensurate with experience).
To apply, please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to: careers@.... Be sure to let us know how you heard about the opportunity. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.