Job Opening: College Coach (San Francisco, CA) - Beyond 12
Title: College Coach (San Francisco)
Reports to: Coach Manager
Employment Status: Full-Time
Beyond 12 is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to increase the number of low-income, first generation, and historically underrepresented students who graduate from our nation’s colleges and universities. Through an innovative technology platform and a student coaching service, Beyond 12 helps high schools and colleges connect with and support their students to ensure they earn a postsecondary degree. Beyond 12’s vision is that one day every student who enrolls in college will be prepared to handle the rigors of higher education and will earn a degree that provides them with meaningful economic and personal prospects.
Beyond 12 is seeking dynamic, talented and entrepreneurial recent college graduates who are interested in making a difference in the lives of students from underserved backgrounds and incorporating service into their careers. Coaches will work with college students across the country to help them navigate the difficult high school-to-college transition and, once students arrive on their college campuses, improve their effectiveness in and out of the classroom. Coaches will be in weekly contact with their students via email, phone, Facebook, video Skype and text messaging. Ultimately, coaches will help students make the most of their college experience by encouraging them to become academically and socially engaged in campus life. Beyond 12 coaches not only have the opportunity to impact individual students, but also develop valuable leadership and management skills. Ideal candidates are interested in incorporating service into their careers and are passionate about ensuring that all students achieve their potential.
· Establish and build relationships with assigned students to help them navigate the transition from high school to college
· Maintain regular contact with assigned students by scheduling weekly coaching sessions to deliver personalized, motivating and actionable guidance consistent with Beyond 12’s coaching curriculum
· Work with students to identify and overcome obstacles that prevent them from succeeding
· Provide perspective on college life and act as a facilitator, guiding students to appropriate campus resources and helping them understand the commitment necessary to succeed
· Maintain current and accurate information about all assigned students
· Work with Beyond 12’s leadership team to identify and improve on personal areas of growth and participate in professional development activities
· Contribute to the development of a growing, fast-paced organization
· Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
· Demonstrated leadership and achievement in academic, extracurricular, volunteer or professional settings
· Experience working with first generation college students and/or students from underserved backgrounds
· Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
· Strong organizational and time-management skills
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office, and a good grasp of web and mobile communication tools
· Position begins in June/July 2012 and coach will be based in San Francisco
· Strong commitment to Beyond 12’s mission and vision
· Independent, highly organized and detail-oriented
· Energetic, hard-working and enthusiastic team player
· Commitment to achieving measurable results
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Beyond 12 offers outstanding benefits, including health, dental, vision, flexible spending account, 401(k), and a competitive salary (commensurate with experience).
To apply, please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to: careers@.... Be sure to let us know how you heard about the opportunity. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.