Job opportunity: Expansion consultant for BUILD
Businesses United in Investing, Lending and Development (BUILD) is a
social venture located in eastern Menlo Park, California. BUILD's
mission is to provide real-world entrepreneurial experience that
empowers youth from under-resourced communities to excel in
education, lead in their communities, and succeed professionally. By
encouraging students to develop their own small businesses, BUILD
extends traditional entrepreneurial education far beyond the
classroom and provides students with real-world business experiences.
This six-month project (Jan-June 2004) is a unique opportunity to
impact the success of a young, innovative social venture with
tremendous growth potential. Ideally this project will roll into a
full time position with BUILD. Successful candidates possess the
desire and ability to work in highly diverse settings and will be
driven to grow BUILD into a successful social enterprise. You will
work with a dedicated team of young professionals, committed to
improving the lives of young people and willing to take the risks
necessary to achieve this goal.
The consultant will be responsible for developing a plan for
expansion into new communities in the SF Bay Area. Responsibilities
will include but not be limited to:
* Assess risks of move given changing dynamics of public schools -
Conduct interviews with teachers, administrators and school board
members to identify potential risks/rewards of expansion in Oakland,
San Jose, etc.
* Identify potential partner schools - Research success of public
and charter schools (graduation and college acceptance rates).
* Identify schools with need for college prep program.
* Identify and contact mentor sources - Identify corporations and
professional organizations and gauge interest in mentor program.
* Identify potential non-profit partner opportunities- Research and
compile information on local organizations and identify opportunities
* Develop a three-year plan - Develop three-year plan outlining
numbers of students and mentors and possible locations and costs of
east bay incubator.
* Identify potential donors - Understand and evaluate donor landscape
from community foundations to individual donors to test interest in
youth development and entrepreneurship.
* Develop implementation plan and timeline - Work with BUILD staff to
identify key roles and develop timeline for implementation.
* Excellent Project Management skills - Candidates must be detail-
oriented, extremely organized and able to prioritize and manage
multiple projects at once.
* Excellent Relationship Management Skills - Candidates must have
excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
Candidates should have a proven track record of building
relationships with local organizations, partners, etc.
* Excellent Research, Analytical and Strategic Planning Skills -
Candidates should be creative and thoughtful in their approach to
research, planning and implementation.
* High Energy, Resourceful and Flexible -Candidates should be willing
to handle new and evolving roles as directed by organization growth.
* Education or youth development experience preferred.
* Experience replicating operations to a new region preferred.
* MBA preferred.
Successful BUILD staff members are entrepreneurial, creative,
flexible, collegial, hard working and demonstrate a strong ethical
fiber. The ideal candidate:
* Enjoys motivating and inspiring under-resourced youth
* Comfortable directly addressing racial and socioeconomic issues
that arise in under-resourced communities
* Is committed to using entrepreneurship as a vehicle to move
students into better educational opportunities
* Has the ability to work and communicate comfortably in diverse
* Is a self starter and thrives in a casual, yet fast-paced
* Enjoys collaborating with a dynamic group of committed young
* Will have the desire and commitment to make BUILD a successful
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Shirin
Dewani Belur at shirin@... fax to 650.688.5847 or mail to 1600
Adams Drive, Menlo Park, CA 94025.