Job Opening: Newark Public Schools - Chief of Staff Position
Chief of Staff, Office of the Superintendent
Newark Public Schools (NPS) is in a historic period of change. With the appointment of Superintendent Cami Anderson and a significant level of national attention and investment, Newark has an incredible opportunity to transform the school system into one that ensures that all of its students graduate with the reading, writing, critical thinking, analytic, and quantitative skills to succeed in the college or career of their choice. In NPS, all means all including students who fall behind or have been considered "hard to serve" for a host of reasons.
Currently, NPS has 74 schools serving 39,440 students, of whom 82% qualify for free or reduced price lunch and 92% are students of color. Within the district, a sizable number of students do not meet or exceed state standards, and just over half of those who attend high school graduate with a diploma. Superintendent Anderson is building a talented and committed leadership team to partner with her in moving NPS towards the ambitious goal of preparing all students for success.
Superintendent Cami Anderson is seeking a Chief of Staff to manage her team's daily operations. This person will play a crucial role in ensuring that the Superintendent's office is responsive to the needs of all NPS staff, students, families and community members. S/he will lead key initiatives, oversee staff performance, facilitate communication between the Superintendent's Office and other internal and external stakeholders, serve as a strategic partner and problem solver, and represent the Superintendent when needed at public events. This is an exciting opportunity for an outgoing, driven self-starter to play a key role in NPS' present and future success.
Superintendent Anderson and her senior leadership team are deeply committed to ensuring that every school has an excellent leader, every classroom has the highest quality teacher, and every child has access to the necessary resources and supports to succeed. NPS' central staff must help the district meet these goals. Specifically, the Chief of Staff will be responsible for the following:
· Facilitate the recruitment, selection, and ongoing development of the Superintendent's team.
· Coach senior team members and coordinate organization-wide efforts to ensure progress towards annual goals.
· Lead the central office performance management process that measures and evaluates organizational progress towards goals.
· Serve a central coordinating role in critical initiatives, inclusive of project management, policy development and analysis, strategic planning, and communication efforts.
· Develop recommendations and advise the Superintendent on a broad range of strategic, managerial, logistical, and administrative areas.
· Track priorities for the Superintendent to ensure organizational bandwidth is focused most effectively.
· Act as a liaison to the New Jersey Department of Education, city agencies (including the Mayor's Office), policymakers, funders, and other key external partners to maintain strong and responsive relationships focused on customer service, accountability, and operational efficiency.
· Serve as strategic partner and chief problem-solver to anticipate and address a variety of issues across the district.
· Manage a team in the Office of the Superintendent to ensure service orientation, efficiency, and effectiveness.
Vision and Courage to Ensure All Students Achieve
â Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels.
â Holds self personally responsible for ensuring the high academic achievement of all students.
â Develops, articulates, and builds buy-in to a clear vision and mission.
â Demonstrates an unwavering commitment to get the job done is willing to go above and beyond to do what it takes to meet the needs of NPS' students.
Strategic Planning and Problem Solving
â Demonstrates and maintains a strong focus on goals and results.
â Identifies, diagnoses, and prioritizes problems and key issues.
â Demonstrates outstanding critical thinking skills, including the ability to analyze data, identify trends, and pinpoint root causes.
â Offers innovative solutions to seemingly intractable problems.
â Thrives in achievement-oriented and fast-paced environments.
Project Management and Effective Execution
â Demonstrates excellent execution and project management skills.
â Prioritizes and organizes strategies effectively to reach goals.
â Multi-tasks and balances the big picture with detailed steps to ensure successful project completion.
â Delegates decision-making and authority in a responsible manner.
â Sets clear metrics for success and regularly monitors progress towards goals.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
â Communicates effectively. Listens to understand and tailors message for the audience, context, and mode of communication.
â Builds and maintains positive relationships.
â Develops coalitions and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels, including but not limited to central office teams, school-based educators, and external partners (policymakers, funders, advocates, and others).
â Builds consensus and resolves conflicts. Exhibits willingness to have difficult conversations.
â Extensive people and project management experience.
â Experience working closely with high-ranking executives in the public or private sector, including serving as a strategic partner and representing their interests to a variety of stakeholders, strongly preferred.
â Master's degree in education or related field.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter to Ned Levy, Deputy Chief of Staff, at talent@... or call us at 973.733.7595 for more information.
Compensation is competitive and based on experience. Newark Public Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package to all of its employees.
Newark Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about NPS, please visit our website at www.nps.k12.nj.us