Job Opening: Seeking Special Assistant to the CEO at Global Citizen Year!
Job Opportunity - Special Assistant to the CEO
Global Citizen Year seeks a resourceful self-starter with exceptional communication skills and professional poise to serve as the Special Assistant to the CEO. The Special Assistant will work hand-in-hand with the CEO, supporting her through strategic relationship management and communications, while advocating for the highest and best use of her time. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced start-up environment, and has the capacity to manage competing priorities and a high volume of work with smarts, grace and calm under pressure.
Mission & Vision
Global Citizen Year (www.globalcitizenyear.org) is a San Francisco-based non-profit organization that believes that a year of global immersion between high school and college unlocks a lifetime of potential. Each year we recruit and train a diverse corps of high potential, high school graduates from across the U.S. and support them through apprenticeships in Asia, Africa and Latin America before they begin college. Through an innovative, cross-sector model, we are re-envisioning the transition to college as an opportunity for young people to develop the empathy, global fluencies, and skills needed to succeed in college and as leaders in 21st century careers.
Our organization combines the best of private and public sector management to create a high-impact, growth-oriented social enterprise. Since our launch in 2009, we have built significant momentum among top investors ($3.5M raised), prominent media (New York Times, Associated Press, Huffington Post) and reputable partners (leading NGO's, colleges and companies). We attract and retain top talent in the field by providing competitive compensation, and exceptional opportunities for personal and professional development.
Today we have completed two years of a small-scale pilot, and we are poised for rapid and significant growth. In September 2011, we made a commitment at the Clinton Global Initiative to engage 1,000 Fellows annually by 2016, and we believe this is just the beginning of what's possible. We envision a world in which someday a Global Citizen Year is a common and expected step for emerging leaders from all backgrounds.
Our core values are at the heart of everything we do, and we look for individuals who share our commitment to the following:
- We hold all people's dignity and well-being at the heart of our words and actions.
- We aspire to build a high-performance culture based on trust, respect for difference, and individual responsibility.
- We strive to be a humane organization, creating opportunities for our staff, fellows and international hosts to live whole, engaged and fulfilling lives.
- We believe that all people have the capacity to learn, grow and thrive - and that our work can help unleash this potential.
- We are optimistic that through innovation, and collaboration across sectors we can create a more peaceful, sustainable and prosperous world.
- We actively pursue opportunities to expand and accelerate progress toward our mission.
- We go above and beyond to improve the quality our Fellows' learning, to increase the value we bring to communities abroad and at home, and to expand the number of beneficiaries we serve.
- We are committed to rigorous evaluation, and course-corrections that strengthen the positive benefits of our work.
- We prioritize getting things done efficiently, and making a tangible difference.
The Special Assistant to the CEO will support the CEO's fundraising and business development priorities, and will serve as a primary liaison for communication with donors, partners, Board of Directors, and other staff. In this role, the Special Assistant and will manage a substantial portion of the CEO's inbound and outbound communication, and will help vet all speaking invitations, writing, and media opportunities. In addition, the role will include executive scheduling, meeting and media preparation, and follow-up. Through daily interaction with the CEO and other Global Citizen Year staff, the Special Assistant is uniquely positioned to help unlock organizational potential.
- Conduct research on prospective donors (individuals / corporations / foundations)
- Maintain and update database of the CEO's fundraising priorities
- Join CEO in key fundraising meetings, and manage others independently
- Plan and participate in travel focused on fund development
- Oversee grant proposal writing and reporting
- Ensure appropriate stewardship of all donors and partners (i.e. individual and institutional donors)
- Provide agendas, background material and collateral for all CEO meetings
- Ensure that presentations are prepared well in advance of interviews, conferences and speaking engagements
- Provide comprehensive itineraries for trips including travel logistics and meeting preparation
- Lead planning, preparation and follow-up for board meetings and donor events
Work Flow Management
- Maintain systems to ensure all "next steps" from CEO meetings are executed in a timely fashion
- Transcribe and distribute CEO meeting and call reports to all relevant internal staff
- Communicate key meeting outcomes and next steps to the CEO from relevant meetings in which she is not a participant
Scheduling & Administrative Support
- Vet all opportunities and invitations and advocate for the highest use of the CEO's time
- Maintain accurate and essential logistical information for meetings and events
- Manage a schedule that is sustainable in pace and scope and share schedule constraints with the team to facilitate internal planning
- Ensure the regularity of executive staff one-on-one meetings
- Ensure timely submission of all CEO travel and expense reimbursement claims
- Ensure that new contact information is accurately input into the contact database
- Lead research and execution of strategic initiatives as appropriate in the areas of:
- Fundraising/Business Development
- Policy research and advocacy
- Scholarly research, writing and publications
- Research and recommend opportunities for new initiatives
- Develop and manage roll-out plans for approved initiatives
Ideal candidates will have at least 2 years professional experience in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial workplace
- Quick learner who instinctively seeks resources and information to make data-driven decisions
- Independent worker and team-player who can achieve targets proactively and under pressure
- Exceptional communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and follow-through
- Adaptable and comfortable in a role where priorities, roles and timelines are often changing
- Strong interpersonal skills including courtesy, patience and empathy
- Sense of humor and the ability to maintain calm under pressure
- Proficiency with Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Personal commitment to the Global Citizen Year mission, vision and values
- Prior experience supporting executive leadership with scheduling, relationship management and strategic communications
- Prior experience in fundraising and/or marketing/communications
- Proficiency with Salesforce
- Experience living/working in the developing world and/or fluency in one or more foreign languages
Candidates with private sector and/or consulting experience who are looking to transition into the social sector are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Terms
- Full-time, San Francisco based position
- Competitive compensation and full benefits (medical, dental, 401K)
- Preferred start date: July 25, 2011
To Apply: Send an email with your resume, cover letter and two professional references to Lee Lucca (lee@...). Please write "Special Assistant to the CEO Application" in the subject line of your email. Applications received by July 15, 2011 will be given preferential review.