Job Opening: Senior Director of Academics and Leadership Development | KIPP Bay Area Schools
Senior Director of Academics and Leadership Development
Earliest Start Date: July 1, 2011About KIPP Bay Area Schools
In the San Francisco Bay Area, five KIPP middle schools and two KIPP high schools are closing the achievement gap between low-income students and their more advantaged peers. These tuition-free, college-preparatory schools are located in the under-served neighborhoods of Bayview Hunters Point and the Western Addition in San Francisco, East San Jose, San Lorenzo, and West Oakland. Our mission is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.
KIPP (The Knowledge is Power Program) began in 1994 in Houston, Texas. Today, there are 99 KIPP schools in 19 states and Washington, D.C. serving more than 25,000 students. KIPP Bay Area Schools (KBAS) is the regional entity comprised of the seven KIPP schools in the Bay Area and a Regional Support Office. KIPP Bay Area Schools serves 2,300 students with plans to double in size by 2020, deepening its impact in its existing communities.
The Senior Director of Academics and Leadership (SDAL) is part of KIPP Bay Area Schools’ leadership team and will work closely with the Chief Academic Officer to support and develop our region’s emerging leaders who show promise and interest in school leadership. KIPP believes that outstanding school leadership is critical to a school’s success. Specifically, this role will design and implement our emerging leaders training and professional development program, provide direct coaching and support to our emerging leaders, and recruit future school leaders to join our team. As KIPP Bay Area Schools grows and opens new schools, the SDAL will undertake the responsibility of managing and supporting school principals. Additionally, the SDAL will oversee mission critical projects and programs as the Academics Department grows. The SDAL is an active member of the regional leadership team and principal community of practice. This position reports to the Chief Academic Officer.
· Recruit and help select emerging school leaders for KIPP principal training programs: The Miles and Fisher Fellowships.
· Coach and develop KIPP Bay Area Schools’ Fisher and Miles Fellows to prepare them to successfully lead high-quality KIPP schools.
· Coach and develop identified successor leaders.
· Design, develop and implement a regional leadership development program for emerging leaders.
· Plan professional development for both emerging leaders and school leaders.
· Work with Chief Academic Officer to manage the Student Attendance Review Team and student discipline issues.
Qualifications, Skills and Qualities
· Bachelor’s Degree (required); Master’s Degree (preferred)
· A minimum of 2-4 years as principal, leading a low-income school with demonstrated exemplary results
· High School leadership experience (preferred but not required)
· Has a deep passion for social justice and equity for all children; believes that all students can achieve at the highest levels, regardless of demography
· Demonstrated ability to lead and manage leaders
· Desire to work with diverse student body and staff
· Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision‐making
· Strategic thinker and proactive problem-solver
· Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals and to initiate process improvements
· Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships across teams and schools
· Ability to evaluate instructional programs and teaching effectiveness
· Excellent communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
· Knowledge in the selection, training, and supervision of personnel
· Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Schools’ mission and values
Please note that frequent travel between KIPP Bay Area Schools’ locations (San Jose, San Lorenzo, Oakland, and San Francisco) is required with occasional travel outside of the Bay Area.
Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, depending on experience and qualifications.
Please send your resume and a detailed cover letter demonstrating your interest in working for KIPP Bay Area Schools and your unique qualifications for the position, to sali@... with “SDAL” in the subject line. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
KIPP Bay Area Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.