Job Opening: Entrepreneurship Preparatory School Head of School
Breakthrough is growing, and we are actively searching for a Head of School.
Job Title: Head of School
School/Entity: Entrepreneurship Preparatory School
Status: Full-time, Salary, Exempt
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
The Head of School is responsible for the overall academic and management of E Prep School. The Head of School will also support the development of the inaugural staff of Cleveland Collegiate School, planned for opening in Fall 2012. He/she works with the Board of Directors to assess the schools' adherence to their missions and to set short- and long-term goals. The Head of School also manages the work of the school's staffs, and bears ultimate responsibility for staff contributions to academic performance and mission-aligned school culture.
Essential Job Functions:
The essential functions of this role include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Lead and oversee the school's instructional program.
· Analyze data regularly to maximize student performance.
· Ensure that every student shows dramatic achievement gains and that the school meets the ambitious performance goals set by E Prep Schools.
· Lead and model Breakthrough and E Prep School, as developed by the Building Excellent Schools model, after the values and set the standard for professional behavior and student adherence to the Student Code of Conduct.
· Supervise the Co-Director(s) of Curriculum, Dean of Students, Operations Manager, Special Education Coordinator and others as assigned.
· Attend all Board of Directors' meetings.
· Foster a data-centered and achievement-oriented school culture.
· Cultivate positive relationships with parents and the local community.
· Communicate regularly with teachers, parents, and students both informally and through formal and informal staff channels.
· Oversee all programs, services, and activities to ensure that program objectives are met.
· Ensure that the school runs smoothly, efficiently, and on budget.
· Ensure school compliance with all relevant federal, state, and city guidelines.
· Oversee student recruitment process to ensure that the school achieves targeted enrollment projections.
· Work with teachers to constantly assess and improve student achievement results.
· Ensure use of effective, research-based teaching methodologies and practices.
· Implement data-driven instruction and lead discussions about student performance.
· Plan appropriate professional development for all teachers.
· Formally supervise, observe, and evaluate all school staff.
· Work with teachers to improve their teaching practice through coaching, professional development, modeling, and collaborative planning.
· Keep abreast of successful instructional methodologies and practices.
· Provide ongoing professional development including high quality curricular training and resources to staff.
· Ensure consistencies in instruction and practice amongst team of teachers.
· Foster culture of professionalism among teachers and staff.
· Ensure learning environment and classroom instruction maximizes student learning.
· Monitor progress of all students.
· Supervise and mentor all staff.
· Oversee all operational matters of the school including budgets and title programs.
· Develop a budget with the assistance of the Breakthrough Schools CFO that meets targeted requirements.
· Oversee routine facilities maintenance.
· Oversee management of school records and resources as necessary.
· Participate in fund raising activities, as requested, to ensure adequate resources for E Prep Schools.
· Ensure school compliance with ODE and all other applicable laws.
· Recruit, select, and hire school staff, including teachers and school-based support staff.
· Oversee student retention and recruitment efforts.
· Continually monitor progress on all measures of school and staff performance.
· Administer approved HR policies and procedures.
· Ensure legal hiring and termination procedures in collaboration with the Breakthrough HR staff.
· Oversee any and all disciplinary actions.
· Provide for adequate supervision, training, and evaluation of all staff and volunteers.
· Communicate the vision that supports the school's goals and values.
· Create an effective team of people jointly responsible for the attainment of school goals and committed to achieving excellence.
- Serve as primary liaison between teachers, parents, and the community.
- Exhibit a high degree of professionalism in all elements of this position, while serving as a contributing member of the E Prep Schools' teams and a dedicated role model for other employees.
Skills and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty accurately. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Strong classroom management and discipline skills
· Excellent communication skills, especially with students and parents
· Extremely high standards for student achievement
· Relentlessness - doing whatever it takes to ensure success
· Team player
· Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and "roll-up-my-sleeves" attitude
· Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the mission and values of E Prep Schools
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor's degree from competitive university required, Master's Degree preferred.
· Minimum 5 years' of teaching experience required; urban setting strongly preferred.
· Minimum of three years of successful, full-time, lead teaching experience required.
· Minimum of two years of administrative or leadership experience in a school setting required.
· Past principal experience preferred.
· Possess or willingness to seek administrative certification.
Qualified applicants may submit their application online at http://www.applitrack.com/breakthrough/onlineapp/ .
To learn more about us, please visit http://breakthroughcleveland.org/ .
What is Breakthrough?
Breakthrough Charter Schools is a nationally recognized network of high-performing, free, urban public charter schools in Cleveland, Ohio. We currently serve more than 1,000 K-8 students across four schools, and will be opening two additional schools in August 2011. Our vision is to open 20 schools by 2020, serving nearly 7,000 students across Cleveland's under-served neighborhoods.
What makes Breakthrough unique?
Our network was created by three individual founding schools: Citizens Academy, Entrepreneurship Preparatory School, and The Intergenerational School. Each school has its own unique approach to providing an outstanding education. By replicating and improving upon our founding schools, we aim to offer a range of high-quality school options to our community, creating real choices for students and teachers alike.
As a network, we are united by a common set of core Breakthrough principles:
· We always put children's needs first, in every decision we make
· We hold everyone to the highest expectations, from our kindergartners to our board chair
· We share a never give up attitude, no matter what it takes
· We believe in our students, and know that every child can learn and excel
Combining our shared principles with our unique educational models, we aim to radically change the educational map of Cleveland, proving day in and day out that all students no matter their zip code or circumstance can learn and excel.
Breakthrough Student Success
This nationally innovative approach is working: In 2010, our students -- 90% African American and 80% low-income -- outperformed Ohio public school students (both urban and suburban) on every single test at every single grade level. While by no means the only measure of success, we are incredibly proud of our leaders, teachers, staff, families, and especially our students for their success.
We Need Your Help
We need smart, mission-driven, motivated individuals to make this vision a reality. To grow to 20 schools by 2020, we will need to hire hundreds of new teachers, deans, staff, and principals. Want to be a part of a nationally innovative, new and growing organization? Want to drive radical change in one of our nation's urban centers? Want to have a trajectory-changing impact thousands of children's lives?
If so, then we want you.