BUILD is hiring a Regional Executive Director in D.C.!
BUILD is a social venture headquartered in Northern California with offices in the Bay Area, Washington , D.C. , and further national expansion plans. BUILD is a four-year, entrepreneurship-focused college preparation program whose mission is to provide real-world entrepreneurial experience that empowers youth from under-resourced communities to excel in education, lead in their communities, and succeed professionally. By helping students develop and run their own small businesses, BUILD supplements traditional school with real-world business experiences and critical skill-building for the future. For more information about the organization, please visit our website at www.build.org.
BUILD is in the midst of substantial, long term national expansion and we’re looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial and talented leader to implement our programming, grow our local presence and achieve huge impact in Washington , D.C. Working under the supervision of the Chief Program Officer based in DC, the Regional Executive Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of program operations at BUILD’s local site and managing a vibrant team of staff members. In addition, the Regional Executive Director will be the chief strategist of the local sites, setting aggressive goals for the organization and implementing tactics to surpass those goals. With the support of the national development team, the Regional Executive Director will lead the growth of the programs through attracting new funding sources and serving as an external spokesperson for BUILD in Washington D.C. , increasing visibility and brand awareness throughout the community. This position requires a high-level of drive and passion for our work, exceptional capacity for management and fundraising and the ability to direct the day-to-day operations of a growing, dynamic organization.
Program Management and Expansion:
· Oversee all aspects of the BUILD program in the region including program planning, implementation, evaluation and overall program quality in partnership with the Site staff and Chief Program Officer
§ Work closely with Site Directors and their teams; develop, document and implement best practices and promote continuous learning across the country
§ Facilitate collaboration among region’s Site Directors for effective information and resource-sharing
· Scout prospective communities within the region (1-2 hour radius) and lead the research into site viability/feasibility in accordance with the national expansion strategy
· Lead new site implementation and initial community building, including procuring agreements with schools/districts, hiring site staff, sourcing incubator locations, etc.
Management & Operations:
§ Recruit, train and manage the Site Directors within region to ensure effective implementation of BUILD’s four-year program
· Develop the annual plan and regional budget in alignment with national strategic plans
· In partnership with the management team, supervise all aspects of the region’s budget to ensure strategic use of resources to achieve the annual goals
· Build a strong team and ensure direct reports are maximizing their individual potential as organizational leaders with explicit professional development goals
· Steward a strong culture based on BUILD’s core values and guiding principles
External Relations & Fundraising
· With the support of the national office and Development Director, design and implement a development plan for the region and continue to grow a sustainable local funding base; raise upwards of 50% of the region’s operating budget
· Recruit and support an Advisory Board charged with providing programmatic guidance, opening doors and supporting the fundraising to advance programmatic goals with in the region
· Serve as the external face of BUILD with in DC community with strategic community partners (school districts, corporations and other nonprofits), in the philanthropic community and in the media to increase visibility and awareness of the BUILD program
· 5+ years working in an educational, youth-based organization with a proven record of staff management, program development and fundraising skills
· Demonstrated record of leadership in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment working both on the development of organizational strategy and execution of the plan
· Excellent communication (both written and verbal) skills with the ability to connect with various different constituencies including students, parents, educators, community members and funders
§ Commitment to using entrepreneurship as a vehicle for moving students to better educational opportunities
§ Strong belief that higher-education access, and ultimately attainment, is a key factor in equalizing disparities in the U.S.
§ Working knowledge of best program and educational practices; experience with program evaluations a plus.
§ Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects at multiple and remote locations
§ Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills as well as creativity and flexibility
§ Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
BUILD will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. Further, BUILD actively seeks to recruit and retain a diverse staff in all areas of operations.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format to Christa Roth at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1500 Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Commongood Careers : BUILD has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for the Regional Executive Director in Washington , D.C. Commongood Careers is a nonprofit search service that connects talented individuals to organizations that are dedicated to creating positive social change. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.