Dean of Students - New Sacramento K-8 Elementary School, Aspire Public Schools
- Aspire Public Schools is a not-for-profit organization that builds and operates small, high quality public charter schools to prepare urban students for college. Aspire Public Schools has served as a model provider of public school choice in California: our schools have had strong academic results, parents and teachers are highly satisfied, and the organization was named by Fast Company Magazine and the Monitor Group as one of the top 20 social entrepreneurial organizations in the country in 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008. Through personalized learning experiences, students learn and master skills needed for the rigorous work of college and post-student life. At Aspire Public Schools, we value collaboration, ownership, quality, customer service, and purposefulness. Founded in 1998, we are focused on refining our model and fulfilling our long-term vision of improving education statewide. Aspire Public Schools now operates 25 schools in six California communities East Palo Alto, Modesto, Oakland, Stockton, Sacramento, and Los Angeles. We plan to reach sustainability by 2020, relying solely on public funding to operate more than 60 schools.
Assist Site Principal in developing a healthy school community and culture of "College for Certain," including student life and community relations, in accordance with Aspire standards. The Dean will report to Site Principal and will work closely with all levels within school and home office, children, parents and outside consultants/vendors.
This is an immediate opening for the 2009-2010 school year at our new Sacramento K-8 elementary school, Aspire College Preparatory Sacramento.
Your work as a Dean of Students will not only change the lives of your students, but the lives of students throughout California. Much like the classroom is a vital part of your school community, your school is a vital part of the network of Aspire schools across the state. Together our schools are changing public education and proving that every student can achieve at the highest levels. Aspire Public Schools is a non-profit organization that opens and operates small, high-performing public charter schools that are preparing the most underserved students for college. We provide our educators with the tools and support they need to provide a high quality, personalized education for every Aspire student. We respect and treat our team members as professionals, providing full-time educators with a laptop computer, business cards and budget for classroom supplies. Our small schools and small classes give you the chance to know every student and his/her family at a personal level. Our network of schools across the state provide you with incredible opportunities to grow personally and professionally in various roles across the organization. We hope you join us in this important work for the children of California!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Provide leadership in developing a strong College for Certain culture, including: overseeing school norms and rituals such as Town Halls; developing student mediation and conflict resolution programs; and assisting Principal with setting, implementing and enforcing policies related to student discipline.
2. Oversee activities related to student life, including coordinating athletics and extracurricular activities; overseeing school student-sponsored events such as dances and fund-raisers; managing school relationships with outside entities providing student before and after-school activities; assisting Principal with setting, implementing and enforcing Aspire policies related to student participation in athletics and extracurricular activities.
3. Support educators and other staff to ensure administration of academic programs is professional and in compliance with any applicable regulations, including: support office staff and teachers on delivery of report cards; oversee administration of CST, CAHSEE, CELDT and other state or Aspire-required assessments; coordinate with Special Education service providers and classroom teachers to ensure student IEPs are being met.
4. Serve as liaison between school and family in matters related to enrollment and attendance, including: working with families in cases of excessive tardies and absences; supporting Principal with student recruiting activities; and advising students and families about placement.
5. Help Principal represent the school site in building an effective school community, including: working with parents to better serve students; garnering support from community groups and leaders; and developing positive relationships with sponsoring district and neighborhood schools.
6. Oversees budget related to student life, including ensuring revenues and expenditures for Student Body Accounts, are properly approved in compliance with CA Education code and audit standards.
7. Assist in managing selected academic programs as assigned. May coordinate or manage site-specific activities of site or Home Office staff, such as College Admissions Manager, Advisors, and Internship Coordinator.
8. Assist in managing daily operations, facilities, safety, and administrative processes as assigned. May supervise other school site staff, such as campus supervisors or front office team.
9. Lead projects as discussed with principal, including long-term strategic planning, process improvement, cycle of inquiry-driven instructional improvements, operational improvement, charter renewal, or any other projects required at the school site.
10. Work in collaboration with Principal and Home Office to achieve site and organizational goals.
11. Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
12. Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
1. Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
Demonstrated commitment to students and learning
Experience with leadership, including demonstrated strength in culture-building and leading peers
Experience with management and administration, including demonstrated knowledge of Aspire procedures and policies related to students
Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively and interact effectively with different audiences
Excellent organization, time management and follow-up skills; high sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently; ability to work as a team
2. Minimum Requirements:
Masters Degree required
Teaching Credential required
NCLB Highly Qualified
Valid Administrative Credential preferred
1+ year working with urban students as a full-time teacher preferred
5+ years teaching or school administrative experience
How To Apply:
To learn more about our schools and apply for this specific opening, please go to our website at http://careers.aspirepublicschools.org, where you can complete an online application. To apply for the Dean of Students position at our New Sacramento Elementary School in Sacramento, CA, be sure to select the school and location prior to your search.