Senior Research and Evaluation Associate at Tipping Point Community
Senior Research and Evaluation Associate
About Tipping Point Community
Tipping Point Community fights poverty in the Bay Area by finding and funding the best poverty-fighting organizations in the Bay Area and providing them with the tools required to help them grow and increase their impact. We are 100% impact. Every dollar donated goes out the door because our board underwrites ALL operating and fundraising expenses. For more information on Tipping Point, please visit our website at www.tippoint.org.
Tipping Point Community seeks a Senior Research and Evaluation Associate with a passion for social change. Working with the Director of Programs and Program team, this role will coordinate and implement Tipping Point's efforts to measure, analyze and report on its impact on people living in poverty in the Bay Area and on our grantee organizations. This is a critical role in a rapidly growing organization that stands to change the landscape of poverty and philanthropic giving in the Bay Area.
Grantee Outcomes Data Measurement and Analysis
Oversee identification and data collection on common grantee outcomes that can be used to calculate the estimated impact on earnings of grantee services:
- Identify/refine common grantee outcomes, drawing upon relevant research as needed
- Ensure shared understanding of key metrics between grantees and Tipping Point. Create and manage processes and systems to capture and ensure the integrity of grantee data
- Analyze data to support grantees and calculate grantee impact on client earnings
Draw upon external research and expertise effectively to inform our measurement and evaluation approach and our understanding of the landscape of poverty in the Bay Area:
- Critically analyze relevant research studies, synthesize outcomes and apply results to create metrics calculations
- Coordinate the launch and ongoing work of Tipping Point's Metrics and Evaluation Advisory Council
- Gather and analyze data on the needs and characteristics of the population living in poverty in the Bay Area
Tipping Point Measurement and Evaluation
Define, implement & communicate Tipping Point's measurement and evaluation approach:
- Develop metrics calculations for Tipping Point's return on investment and perform benefit-cost analysis using external research and grantee outcomes data, including estimating and applying appropriate counterfactuals
- Contribute to the development of collateral and presentations that communicate the needs of people living in poverty in the Bay Area and how Tipping Point grantees effectively meet this need
- Manage consultant and vendor relationships related to measuring the effectiveness of Tipping Point and/or its grantees
Support grantee efforts in outcomes and evaluation as they:
- Create/revise their logic models and data and outcome tracking goals
- Engage in client data management software selection, implementation, and ongoing development
- Use data to improve program delivery and outcomes
- Assess and implement effective third party evaluation
The ideal candidate will have:
- Master's degree or higher in sociology, economics, public policy with a concentration in statistical analysis required
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in research and program evaluation including strong experience in quantitative research methods and/or benefit-cost analysis
- Strong knowledge of the research in one field relevant to Tipping Point grantees with the ability to quickly master research in several others. Ability to critically analyze a wide range of research in the areas of health, economics and education.
- Strong ability to bridge the research-to practice divide and provide best-guess stand-in estimates for unknown quantities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to discuss complex topics with many audiences: field experts, professional evaluators, Tipping Point and grantee staff.
- Understanding of the nonprofit operational context limited resources and many competing demands and the role of an engaged and supportive funder in this context
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and experience in developing and maintaining systems and processes
- Willingness to pitch in where needed; a self-starter with a can-do attitude
- Flexibility, initiative, patience, persistence and sense of humor a must
Salary, Benefits and Timing
Tipping Point Community offers a competitive compensation package including benefits. This position is open immediately. Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.
How to apply
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how your experience and qualifications match the needs of this position. Email the cover letter along with your resume to Rita@... with "Your name Senior Research and Evaluation Associate" in the subject line of your email. Alternatively, you can mail these documents to:
Chief Operating Officer
Tipping Point Community
703 Market Street, Suite 708
San Francisco, CA 94103