Propel Seeks Chief Operating Officer
- Propel Seeks Chief Operating Officer
Propel is a new non-profit organization founded to transform public education in Western Pennsylvania by growing and operating a federation of high performance schools. Propel is building an organization that will have significant institutional force and size and has already received significant launch support from the Community Loan Fund of Southwestern Pennsylvania, from the R.K. Mellon Foundation and from civic and business leadership. Building from this base of support, Propel will be opening seven schools in the greater Pittsburgh area over the next five years and making the infrastructure created to support these schools available to others through an outsourcing service called SchoolPropel. Propel is poised to make a major contribution both locally and nationally to the struggle to remake public education.
Propel is now actively seeking a chief operating officer (COO). The COO is one of three senior managers with critical responsibility for the success of the Propel venture. The other two are a chief executive officer and a chief academic officer. The COO will serve as the Propel CFO, will build the SchoolPropel outsourcing service into a profit center, will find facilities and financing for Propel schools, and will develop internal systems capable of supporting a rapidly growing organization.
1. Serve as CFO for an organization growing from annual revenue of $500,000 to $17,000,000 over a period of five years
* Communicate financial strategy to stakeholders including lenders, underwriters, and funders;
* Establish effective financial control
* Produce financial reports to support decisionmaking
2. Grow the SchoolPropel service into a profit center for the organization
* Establish pricing strategy
* Market service to schools
* Negotiate agreements with partners, vendors, and schools
* Hire, develop and evaluate staff including technology specialists
3. Secure facilities for seven schools over five years with total expected asset value of $19 million
* Find sites
* Secure financing
* Manage development and construction process
4. Establish internal systems to support growth from 5 employees to 200 employees over five years
* Manage HR function
* Build organizational culture
We expect to fill this position summer 2002. EOE. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via e-mail to Jeremy Resnick at jresnick@... <mailto:jresnick@...>.