New Schools Venture Fund Hiring Associate Partner
- POSITION DESCRIPTION
POSITION: Associate Partner, Venture Team
ORGANIZATION: New Schools Venture Fund
LOCATION: San Francisco
BACKGROUND New Schools Venture Fund is a philanthropic fund that is harnessing the power of entrepreneurs to dramatically improve public education. Co-founded in 1998 by Kim Smith and venture capitalists John Doerr and Brook Byers, we invest in scalable non-profit and for-profit ventures that are addressing high-leverage areas of education reform, especially those targeting our most underserved communities. Our approach is unique in that we believe fixing the public education system will require "hybrid" solutions that combine the best thinking and practices from the business, education, and non-profit worlds.
New Schools has built a strong portfolio of nine ventures across the country that are scalable, sustainable, have a direct impact on student achievement as well as a catalytic impact that is broader than the immediate mission that is served. New Schools is currently raising its second fund, projected to be $50 million. This fund will consist of two focused funds, a Charter Accelerator Fund and a Technology Innovation Fund.
Please visit www.newschools.org <http://www.newschools.org> to learn more about the New Schools Venture Fund.
OVERVIEW New Schools is undertaking a major new initiative under the auspices of its Charter Accelerator Fund. With the assistance of key partners, we have set a goal of incubating 4-6 new non-profit charter school management organizations in the next 4-6 years. Our team seeks an Associate Partner to contribute to the development of this initiative. Key activities will include relationship development, market research and analysis, venture diligence, and ongoing board participation and management team support.
RELATIONSHIP The Associate Partner will report directly to a New Schools Partner.
RESPONSIBILITIES Success in the position will require, but not limit, the Associate Partner to:
* Help identify, form and develop key relationships in regions targeted for creating charter management organizations
* Conduct market analysis within target regions to identify, monitor, and navigate factors key to our success
* Contribute to creating a comprehensive operational plan to guide our team's execution of the non-profit charter school management organization initiative
* Collaborate with promising entrepreneurs in developing and articulating business plans
* Perform due diligence on potential ventures (assess team, operations, strategy, financials, education outcomes), analyze and generate documents to support the decision making process
* Participate in deal closing process, including establishing appropriate educational outcomes benchmarks
* Support New Schools in providing board-level guidance and oversight to assigned ventures
* Provide consulting and management assistance to assigned portfolio ventures
* Lead efforts on specific projects as needed for New Schools and portfolio ventures
* Collaborate with New Schools' management team to continuously refine portfolio investment strategy
SELECTION The ideal candidate will have:
* Demonstrated commitment to improving public education
* Strong strategic and analytical skills, including but not limited to financial analysis, synthesis of ambiguous data, and the ability to identify key issues and risks
* Demonstrated experience with financial modeling and financial statement analysis
* Exceptional communication skills (oral and written)
* Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
* Commitment to the belief that education entrepreneurs can transform public education
* Strong desire to build a new and innovative organization using the best of non-profit/for-profit sectors
* Comfort with both for-profit and non-profit organizational structures
* Ability to learn quickly and continuously
* Experience within the charter school segment preferred
REQUIREMENTS An MBA and experience working with entrepreneurial ventures is preferred
COMPENSATION A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, and complete benefits is available.
The New Schools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer.
People of color are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and 1 page cover letter via e-mail to Gregory Holmes at: gholmes@... <mailto:gholmes@...> no later than May 1, 2002.