GreatSchools.net Hiring Product Manager
- Job Description
Product Manager, GreatSchools.net
About us: GreatSchools.net is a nonprofit, online guide to K-12
schools. Based in downtown San Francisco, we are an Internet startup
funded by philanthropists, corporations and foundations. Our mission is
to provide parents with the information they need to choose schools,
support their children's education and advocate for educational
The Product Manager is responsible for the implementation of new
features and improvements to the Web site. Reporting to the Executive
Editor, this person requires excellent communication skills, a strong
technical background and the ability to interface between editorial and
* Implementing daily changes to the site, including
building HTML, coordinating content coming from the editorial and
marketing teams, and moving changes from the development server through
the staging server to the live server.
* Working with the editorial team to define requirements
and priorities. The Product Manager will guide projects through the
development process by communicating technical requirements to the
editorial team, prototyping user interface possibilities, and writing
functional specifications for the engineering team.
* Working with the engineering team on development of new
features, including managing timelines of engineering projects and
communicating engineering progress to the rest of the staff.
* Testing and quality assurance, including identifying
bugs, working with the engineering team to isolate their cause and
following up to confirm that bugs were fixed.
* Gathering and synthesizing user and staff feedback,
assessing the degree to which the site meets the needs of our target
market and recommending interface changes to improve functionality and
* Analyzing site traffic data to identify usage patterns
to present to editorial and marketing teams.
* Development and ongoing management of relationships with
co-branded Web sites with GreatSchools media partners, such as Microsoft
Network and LATimes.com
* Strong communication skills
* Ability to prioritize, balance and coordinate projects
across multiple departments and skill sets.
* Detail oriented, able to work under deadlines and
perform tasks efficiently and precisely.
* Experience working with engineers in technical Web
* Basic knowledge of HTML and basic programming knowledge
required; knowledge of PhotoShop, MySQL, and Perl (or other comparable
programming language) very valuable.
* Interest and experience in schools or education policy
* Highly organized, responsible and attentive to timelines
* Independent self-starter and productive team member.
* Flexible and able to work in a fast-changing
* Strong commitment to supporting and improving public
Competitive salary. Medical, dental and vision plans. Diversity
Please email a cover letter and resume to jobs@... with
"Product Manager" in the subject line. Applications without cover
letters will not be considered.