4377Job Opening: Founding Director of Teaching & Learning Roots Elementary in Denver
- Apr 27, 2014
Roots Elementary is a charter school opening in the North Park Hill neighborhood of Denver in the fall of 2015. Roots envisions a world where demography is not destiny—where all children, regardless of race or family income, have the opportunity to attain an excellent education. Roots will offer an innovative school design to enable each scholar to have a personal learning plan and receive the right level of support in the right way at the right time. Roots has strong support from the community and has received over 300 intent to enroll forms from local families. Ultimately, Roots will expand to become a network of charter schools serving kids from multiple communities.
Founder and Executive Director, Jon Hanover, is a kindergarten teacher, grade level chair, and member of the Leadership Team at Rocky Mountain Prep in Denver. Prior to joining the faculty at RMP as a Teach for America corps member, Jon worked on the investment team at the not-for-profit Charter School Growth Fund where he advised the leaders of the most successful and innovative charter school networks in the country. Prior to CSGF, Jon worked at Bain & Company where he advised clients on strategy, management, and operations.
We are now seeking a Founding Director of Teaching and Learning to join our Executive Director and lead the vision for, and implementation of, Roots Elementary’s academic model. This model should support Roots’ emphasis on personalized learning and use of technology for individualized instruction. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated school leadership experience, strong curriculum design, and instructional leadership skills, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for innovative teaching methods. This is a unique opportunity to help design a cutting-edge academic program, take ownership over an emerging network of schools, and be part of a revolution in teaching and learning. It will be a full time position starting summer 2014 with extensive collaboration to begin as soon as possible.
• Be a thought partner with the Executive Director on the initial academic design and lead its development and implementation, including student culture, standards, assessments, curricula, and core instructional practices.
• Hire, train, coach, manage and evaluate instructional staff
• Wear many different hats in a startup environment, be a strategic partner for the Executive Director on a wide range of school startup priorities, and serve as a member of the school’s Leadership Team
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3 - 5+ years of experience driving superior results in an elementary school classroom
- 2+ years of experience effectively coaching or managing teachers, as a Dean, Assistant Principal or Principal, ideally in a high performing charter environment
- Highly skilled at analyzing, interpreting, and using data to collaborate, identify areas for improvement, and drive results- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills with strong attention to detail
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate and develop a diverse group of leader
- Ability to think strategically and formulate written visions and strategic plans
- Strong project management skills including goal setting, backwards planning, and executing consistently
- Comfort with ambiguity. Ability to operate in a fluid work environment and be confident "building the plane while flying it".
To apply: Email a cover letter and resume to: join@...