4376Job Opening: Development Manager: Reading Partners, Colorado
- Apr 25, 2014
Reading Partners is a nonprofit literacy organization that recruits and trains community volunteers to provide one-on-one reading tutoring to students in under-resourced schools across the country. Our highly effective program has helped thousands of children master the fundamental reading skills they need to succeed in school and beyond. For more information, please visit www.readingpartners.org.
The Development Manager is based out of Denver and works closely with the Executive Director to support a roughly $1.2M FY15 budget for Reading Partners Colorado programming. The Development Manager is responsible for providing the primary fundraising planning and support to fund expansion in FY15, with a projected goal of $850K by supporting the Executive Director with increasing and stewarding local individual, foundation, and corporate funders.
This position reports to the Executive Director, Colorado. The Development Manager will also work closely with regional program team, the Community Engagement Manager, the national development team, and the Colorado Regional Board.
- Supervise and project manage 2 AmeriCorps*VISTA Development Coordinators to research new funding prospects, prepare and submit grant proposals and reports, and conduct excellent database management
- Oversee fundraising operational systems in our online database Salesforce and provide regular reports to Executive Director, Regional Board, and national team tracking the progress to goal and status of the moves management process
- Plan and coordinate 8-10 small-scale donor cultivation and solicitation events throughout the year
- Collaborate with other staff members and provide support as needed on public funding opportunities
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to craft strategic plans for each funding stream and measures of success to ensure that Colorado meets annual and long-term fundraising goals
- Provide guidance and assist the Executive Director in managing and supporting the Regional Boards’ fundraising initiatives
- Design donor cultivation plans to maximize giving potential of current donors and secure new prospects
- Develop and support implementation of tailored solicitation requests to individual donors, foundations, and corporations
- Manage Reading Partners’ donor recognition, retention, and stewardship programs for local portfolio
- Ensure that the Colorado region follows the national calendar for donor touch points, customizing each piece with local information
- Reconcile the donor database to financial reports on a regular basis
- Liaise with the finance department to ensure that Reading Partners accurately reports expenditures of grants received
External Relations = should we add anything on coordination with Community Engagement?
- Support the Executive Director in preparing for, attending, and following up on funder cultivation and stewardship meetings
- Manage a portfolio of external relationships and participate in meetings with board members, individual donors, and foundation and corporate contacts as needed
- 5+ years of professional work experience, preferably in education or the nonprofit sector
- 3+ years experience in fund development with an emphasis on portfolio management
- Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Strong editor with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to project manage and to keep others aligned on deadlines, priorities for actions, and strategy
- Demonstrated ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders
- Thorough understanding of strategic development with a track record of creating and implementing innovative solutions to meet pressing organizational needs
- Strong partnership-building skills with measurable success in developing creative and mutually beneficial business
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Computer literacy, with experience utilizing fundraising databases
- Experience in the fields of education or literacy
- Experience with high growth nonprofits
- Experience working with Salesforce or similar CRM software
- Experience with event planning
- Experience with corporate sponsorships
- Experience with individual giving and major gifts programs
- Experience with growth-oriented organizations
- Experience with growing a philanthropy portfolio and building out new revenue stream strategies
- Experience with board relations
- Passion for the mission of Reading Partners
- Ability to think analytically and problem solve, combined with a willingness to ask questions and work collaboratively.
- Energetic, hard-working, and a team player
- Highly organized, and detail-oriented self-starter
- Positive, enthusiastic, professional image in representing Reading Partners, both internally and externally.
- Ability to work under time pressures with multiple priorities and deadlines with accuracy.
- Discretion with confidential information.
This is a full time, exempt, salaried position with comprehensive benefits and generous vacation and sick time. Salary is highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please submit the following application materials at www.readingpartners.org:
- A cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant experience/qualifications. Please include salary history for the past three roles.
Skype: jess.simmons13Training prepares people for certainty. Education is the framework in which we begin to assess the unknown, and learning is the process we use to adapt to unfamiliar territory. Therefore, I believe in empowering people to discover and recognize their own ability to find balance and adapt in an ever-changing environment.