4374Job Opening: Director of Data Management
- Apr 23, 2014
Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer in the Strategic Initiatives Unit, the Director of Data Management is responsible for managing software solutions for the district, as needed to support schools and central office in meeting the district vision and for most of the school district's state data reporting.
Scope of Responsibility:
- Manage software functionality as needed to support district processes, including the student information system.
- Manage identification, selection, and implementation of Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) Cloud Based software solutions when available/applicable to meet district needs.
- Manage the design, development, and implementation of custom district information systems as needed.
- Manage a team to provide support for the use and implementation of the student information system, including state and federal reporting.
- Manage the collection of all electronic student information from schools and other departments.
- Establish data collection deadlines driven by state based deadlines for MFP and Student Transcripts.
- Coordinate and manage scheduled in-service trainings for school and central office staff that need access to student information.
- Manage centralized Help Desk support for schools and central office software users, including student information system.
- Perform detailed data analyses that lead to practical policy solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Strategy Officer.
Skills and Qualifications:
We seek detail-oriented, independent self-starters who demonstrate an unwavering commitment to raising student achievement and who have a record of high performance in challenging situations. Successful candidates will also demonstrate:
- 3+ years of progressively increasing experience in management of data systems.
- Excellent SQL skills: experience querying large, complex data sets.
- Working knowledge of basic statistics; experience with R, SAS, SPSS, or similar a plus.
- Ability to execute research projects, and generate practical results and recommendations.
- Strong communication skills in multiple settings and the ability to be an engaging change agent and culture-creator who can inspire and motivate.
- High degree of professionalism, with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities, while consistently demonstrating sound judgment and disciplined thinking.
- Administrative experience in the documenting and re-engineering processes to improve the way activities are performed.
- Documented experience with the complex database software.
- M.S. or M.E. in computer science, math, economics, engineering or other technical field preferred.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to use quantitative and qualitative data to make decisions and recommendations.
- Collaborative management style, with a proven track record of working with diverse individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results.
About Jefferson Parish Public Schools
The Jefferson Parish Public School System (JPPSS) is providing high-quality education that empowers our students to master challenging academic content, excel in 21st-century jobs, and become our future leaders. JPPSS operates 77 traditional public schools serving nearly 47,000 of the highest-needs students in the greater New Orleans area. As the largest district in the state, JPPSS an important catalyst for change across Louisiana.
The diligent work of our educators, combined with the district's willingness to implement major reforms, has led to the following significant achievement gains:
- Today, 77% of JPPSS students attend "A,", "B," or "C" schools, compared to 35% in 2011.
- JPPSS is now a "B" district, moving up two letter grades from its ranking of "D" in 2011. Over the same time period, the district has jumped from 51st in the state for student performance to 36th.
- In the last five years, the graduation rate has climbed 10%.
We are very proud of these accomplishments, but there is still much to do to bring college and career success within reach of every student in Jefferson.
Join Our Team
To apply, please upload your resume and a thoughtful cover letter at jpschools.org/careers.