4156Job Opening: Education Manager for Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education (IISME)
- Dec 18, 2013
IISME (pronounced iz-mee) is a dynamic, entrepreneurial and financially secure industry-education partnership whose flagship program, the IISME Summer Fellowship Program provides K-16 teachers with exciting and challenging paid summer Fellowships within industry and research institutions. IISME is a nonprofit organization that has been serving as a bridge between the education, business and research communities fostering innovation and enhancing the quality and relevance of STEMx education in the San Francisco Bay Area for 29 years and IISME has recently expanded to bring its successful program to teachers in Los Angeles and San Diego Counties.
The Education Manager is responsible for designing and implementing innovative and impactful educational services for IISME’s teacher professional development programs. The Education Manager will provide year-round support for teachers and help them transfer their hands-on, meaningful summer work and research experiences into enriched, relevant, standards-based curriculum for themselves, their students and the broader educational community. The Education Manager will hold a critical role in the development and implementation of new and exciting programs to educators as IISME explores and builds future opportunities. The Education Manager works closely with and reports to the Education Director.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in education including significant time spent as a classroom teacher;
· Knowledge of and experience with California public educational system and educators required;
· Knowledge of both the Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards;
· Curriculum development experience required; experience and knowledge of research and inquiry-based science activities in their schools;
based science curriculum preferred;
· Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred;
· Non-classroom work experience desired, preferably in management, another nonprofit and/or organizational development;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Demonstrated ability to think creatively, work independently and accomplish goals;
· Knowledge of current educational theory and practice required;
· Ability to effectively collaborate and work well as part of a passionate and committed team.
1. Provide input in the design and implementation of IISME educational programming;
2. Plan and implement, with the Education Director, the Summer Fellowship Program, including implementing the teacher recruitment and application approval process, providing support to applicants during the Fellowship matching process including authoring the bimonthly applicant newsletter “The IISME Applicant”, providing teacher training and workshops, producing online Summer Binder for IISME Fellows, orienting Teacher Fellows, arranging the content and logistics of summer meetings, and expanding the IISME website as appropriate to these activities;
3. Oversee the transfer of teachers’ industry and research experiences into enhanced school curriculum, classroom activities and career readiness, including monitoring the Education Transfer Plan process;
4. Measure IISME program impact on teachers and students and share responsibility for teacher data collection, program evaluation and research;
5. Lead the IISME Research Collaborative which provides resources to high school science teachers implementing research and inquiry-based science activities in their schools.
6. Collaborate with senior staff to set policy and future directions for IISME educational services;
7. Actively participate in updating and enhancing the educational components of the IISME Summer Fellowship Program
8. Write and publish IISME’s quarterly newsletter “Eyes on IISME”;
9. Co-staff the IISME Board of Directors’ Education Committee which reviews the current educational programming and makes recommendations to the Board and staff;
10. Act as an advocate in the community at large for the IISME programs.
POSITION TERM, HOURS, LOCATION AND SALARY:
This position is full-time, exempt and will be located at the IISME office at 5301 Stevens Creek Blvd., PO Box 58059; MS WO, Santa Clara, California within Agilent Technologies. This position is subject to the policies and procedures listed in the IISME Employee Handbook. Salary is competitive, based on qualifications and potential contributions to IISME. Generous benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, generous PTO and the option to participate in our 401(k) and flex spending plans. IISME is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume with cover letter to jobs@....