4149Job Opening: Principal Residency @ Rocketship
- Dec 11, 2013Rocketship Education has a rare opening for a dynamic experienced principal to join our team immediately and train to serve as a Rocketship Principal in 2014-2015:
Rocketship Education (www.rsed.org) is a network of public K through 5 charter schools serving primarily low-income students in neighborhoods where access to excellent schools is limited. Using a blend of traditional instruction, adaptive technology and targeted tutoring, Rocketship strives to meet the unique needs of each and every student. But we believe that truly transformative schools do more than educate students; they empower teachers, engage parents and inspire communities. Together, we can eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime.
Rocketship is based in San Jose, but we realize the achievement gap stretches across the nation. We're opening new schools every year to help reach the millions of students striving in underperforming schools every day.
Rocketship Education is building a network of high-performing, urban, college-preparatory K-5 charter
schools dedicated to our mission to eliminate the achievement gap within our lifetimes. The Rocketship
Public School Model provides an excellent, individualized education for all students by leveraging:
· A parent engagement strategy that allows for advocacy on behalf of all children and their education;
· A professional development program that creates ongoing support and a pathway for sustainable careers for highly effective educators;
· And an innovative use of technology and tutoring to ensure that every child receives the personalized instruction and academic supports they need.
Rocketship has a rare opening for a dynamic experienced principal to join our team immediately and train to serve as a Rocketship Principal in 2014-2015. The candidate will become immersed in the Rocketship culture and work on special assignments. This position is ideal for a highly effective administrator who is flexible, motivated, and interested in working in a startup organization.
Rocketship Education expects all of its principals to deliver on the following organizational goals:
- Create and maintain an outstanding school culture for students and faculty
- Lead the instructional vision for the school
- Deliver academic achievement results
- Build and developing leadership in staff members
- Empower parents and families
In addition, the Principal will be required to perform the following responsibilities:
School Culture Development
- Foster a school environment where students, educators, and all stakeholders actively demonstrate Rocketship’s beliefs, values, and behaviors.
- Create and maintain a staff culture of constant reflection and professional growth so that all staff will be prepared to assume leadership roles long-term.
- Manage themselves and others in a manner that creates a healthy, high-achieving environment so that all stakeholders feel challenged, supported, and valued.
- Lead human capital activities for their school, including hiring, promotion, staffing, rewards/incentives, and termination decisions.
Instructional Vision and Academic Achievement
- Foster a rigorous and college preparatory environment that ensures high levels of student achievement through the relentless use of data to drive instruction.
- Provide leadership toward creative and positive data-driven behavioral innovations and instruction for high-risk students, their teachers and their families.
- Develop classroom teacher practice and leadership through regular, effective direct observation (4+ teachers in 1-2 grade levels).
- Manage, support, and develop Integrated Service Delivery (Special Education Team) and Enrichment Center Coordinator in addition to other members of the school leadership team including the Assistant Principals, and Operations Staff.
Parent, Family, and Community Empowerment
- Ensure that all family members are involved in their students’ academic progress through multiple outlets (i.e.: home visits, regular community meetings, parent gatherings), empowering them to be active advocates for their students’ success.
- Promote collaborative problem solving and open communication between teachers, tutors, students, and families.
- Develop the strategy for and lead the execution of community meetings and school wide events.
- Actively participate in the Rocketship principal cohort within their region; lead and/or support other school site and network-wide initiatives as needed to foster strong school culture, academic excellence, and network growth.
- Work with the leadership team to design and lead staff meetings that build skill in the instructional staff; lead the vision, design, and implementation of staff professional development and collaborative planning time.
- Support Operations Team and Support Staff on culture and discipline matters.
· A minimum of 3-5 years teaching experience in an urban school environment, including experience managing, coaching, and developing other adults.
· A minimum of 2 years as a principal or assistant principal at an urban elementary school serving a diverse student population required.
· Strong leadership skills and personal drive.
· Passion for serving the academic and socio-emotional needs of low-income students of color and their families.
· Results-orientation and focus on using data to make decisions.
· Relentless pursuit of high expectations, regardless of obstacles and challenges.
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize and deliver on multiple projects at once; thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Ability to build partnerships with a number of different community organizations.
· An entrepreneurial spirit, including a willingness to think outside the box and do whatever it takes to be successful.
· Spanish and/or Vietnamese language skills are a plus.
· Track record of realizing significant academic achievement gains working with diverse student populations.
· Demonstrated success in engaging and empowering parents and families, especially those of low-income students of color.
· Experience planning and implementing strategic solutions to persistent challenges within the education/school sector.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://www.rsed.org/
Rocketship Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Education complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Rocketship Education expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Education’s employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.