4131Job Opening: Director of Network & Selection, Pahara Institute
- Nov 26, 2013
Director of Network and Selection
Today there is a growing community of performance-driven education reform leaders and entrepreneurs who are spearheading innovative approaches to better serve all students, especially those in low-income communities. The Pahara Institute is dedicated to identifying, strengthening, and sustaining these diverse, high potential leaders who are reimagining public education. Pahara’s programs are aimed at improving leadership in education at a crucial point in our country’s history when our goal of a more equitable democratic society, as well as our changing economy, demand dramatically more equity and excellence from our public schools.
Pahara’s flagship program is the Pahara-Aspen Education Fellowship, a two-year, cohort-based program, modeled after the renowned Henry Crown Fellowship at the Aspen Institute. It is focused on increasing both the strength and diversity of leadership for the education reform movement by bringing together senior innovative leaders in education who have been nominated by recognized leaders within the field, and providing them with an opportunity to step back from their demanding daily work to reflect with peers on their collective and individual work as leaders and change agents. For more information about the program and Fellows, please visit www.pahara.org.
Additionally, Pahara is launching two new programs focused on strengthening the movement for equity and excellence in public education, including a Next Generation leadership program.
This is a new role, one reflecting the momentum and growth of the Pahara-Aspen Education Fellowship and its formidable network of alumni, as well as the need to bring additional capacity and depth to the Pahara team and its unique leader selection process. The new Director of Network and Selection must believe in the transformative power of leaders, have the skills and experience necessary to identify and assess them, and the abilities necessary to thrive in a diverse and entrepreneurial environment.
The Director of Network and Selection will:
· lead the annual nominations, screening, and selection process for Pahara’s leadership programs (with input from the CEO), including managing the selection team and process;
· develop and manage a network of partnerships for Pahara’s programs to support nomination and selection of leaders;
· develop and execute a network strategy in support of Pahara alumni in partnership with senior Pahara team; and,
· participate in the Pahara leadership team for strategic planning, goal-setting, and evaluation of programmatic results to ensure the execution of Pahara’s overall mission and vision.
The Director of Network and Selection will report directly to Kim Smith, Pahara’s Chief Executive Officer. The new Director will likely oversee a Recruiter and a Program Coordinator.
We are a nimble, dynamic and partially virtual organization by design so that our professionals can work where they have built their lives. However, given the close nature of the partnership that the Director of Network and Selection will have with the CEO, there is a strong preference for this position to be based in the Bay Area.
Pahara is a strong fit for professionals who are resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, and self-confident and who possess strong personal drive and motivation. In that context, we seek a thoughtful, entrepreneurial leader to enhance an already high-impact team and organization. The right leader will have ample room to grow in this position, and to contribute to shaping Pahara’s new and existing programs. Specifically, the successful candidate will have the following:
· 10 or more years of professional experience in human capital, recruiting, and/or leadership development;
· in recognition of the important role that attention and sensitivity to diversity play in achieving the mission of Pahara and the field, this experience should include specific focus on and commitment to diversity and cultural competency;
· experience leading a major initiative, program or division;
· demonstrated success in creating and managing systems for efficiency and effectiveness;
· experience developing strong external partnerships; and
· a track record of success in results-oriented and mission-driven organizations.
· the ability to balance day-to-day operations with strategic planning and vision and execute against goals on time and to high standards;
· proficiency at assessing and screening for skills – both “hard and soft” – in developing leaders;
· strong judgment in navigating relationships and complex decisions;
· outstanding interpersonal skills and aptitude for optimizing group dynamics;
· flexibility to respond to changing situations, shifting priorities and new opportunities;
· excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly the ability to deliver timely, relevant information in a clear and concise manner;
· a Bachelor’s degree; and
· a sophisticated understanding of the US education reform landscape sufficient to meaningfully contribute to Pahara program development.
· a mature and sophisticated understanding of the issues around candidate confidentiality;
· the ability to learn quickly, be flexible and take an optimistic approach to work;
· a high level of integrity, trust and accountability;
· a collaborative style coupled with the ability to self-manage to get things done; and,
· the ability to travel approximately 25% of the time.
Strongly preferred - but not required - qualifications are:
· a Masters’ degree or other advanced degree in a relevant field;
· a network of leaders in education reform; and
· experience building and running a leadership development program for adult learners;
Pahara provides competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package including a performance-based bonus based on individual and firm success, full health care coverage, and access to 401(k) accounts with a matching contribution policy.
Pahara is committed to providing equal opportunities. We serve diverse organizations, and are committed to non-discrimination. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals with whom we are in contact are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran’s status.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications should consist of a letter of interest and a current resume. Applications or inquiries about the position should be directed to:
via: Saamra Mekuria-Grillo