4121Job Opening: Assistant Principal 2014-2015 @ Rocketship
- Nov 13, 2013
Rocketship Education is now hiring Assistant Principals for the 2014-2015 school year:
Rocketship Education (www.rsed.org) is a network of public K through 5 charter schools serving primarily low-income students in neighborhoods where access to excellent schools is limited. Using a blend of traditional instruction, adaptive technology and targeted tutoring, Rocketship strives to meet the unique needs of each and every student. But we believe that truly transformative schools do more than educate students; they empower teachers, engage parents and inspire communities. Together, we can eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime.
Rocketship is based in San Jose, but we realize the achievement gap stretches across the nation. We're opening new schools every year to help reach the millions of students striving in underperforming schools every day.
Reporting directly to the principal, Assistant Principals (APs) play a critical role in driving academic achievement for students and building a rigorous college preparatory environment. Each fully enrolled Rocketship campus has two assistant principals. APs ensure academic excellence by working closely with the principal to lead and implement the instructional vision for 1-3 grade levels. APs directly manage and coach the educators in their grade levels (3-9 instructional staff members) by conducting observation cycles, modeling lessons, co-planning lessons, real-time coaching, and providing support and resources aimed at increasing educator effectiveness and leadership. APs also serve as cultural and community leaders for their grade levels by building teacher capacity in culture, discipline, and parent engagement. APs may share responsibilities with the school leadership team in the following additional areas: professional development, culture and discipline in common spaces (lunch, arrival, dismissal, Launch), management of the Enrichment Center Coordinator, special events (trips, community meetings, evening events), and supplemental coaching associated with teacher credentialing (BTSA).
For the 2014-2015 school year, these positions will be based in San Jose, CA or Nashville, TN. Our preference will be candidates interested in becoming Rocketship Founders for our new regions: Indianapolis, Memphis, Washington DC, Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston. (More details on supplemental attachment.)
Each Rocketship school is supported by a Regional Support Office, which is a division of the National Team.
- Foster a rigorous and college preparatory environment that ensures high levels of student achievement annually through the relentless use of data to drive and refine instruction
- Ensure at least 1.5 years of progress for all Rocketeers annually through management and coaching of grade level teams (3-9 instructional staff members)
- Oversee the implementation of a rigorous and highly individualized curriculum in grade levels
- Promote collaborative problem solving and open communication among teaching staff members
- Ensure Rocketship school culture where students, educators, and members of the school community demonstrate Rocketship’s beliefs, values, and behaviors
- Manage self and others in a manner that creates a healthy, high-achieving environment where staff feel challenged, and also fully supported/valued
- Create a school community that fully involves parents in student achievement through multiple outlets including home visits, regular community meetings, and parent/family meetings
- Lead and/or support other school site and network-wide initiatives as needed to foster strong school culture, academic excellence, and network growth
- Lead and/or contribute to the design and implementation of weekly staff professional development and collaborative planning time
- Assist in the management of school-based Integrated Service Delivery (special education) program by running SST and SAT processes.
- Collaborate with the ISD Specialist to ensure that teachers are receiving the necessary support and professional development to maximize the delivery of instruction in a full-inclusion model
- Manage the BTSA process for eligible staff and support other teachers through the credentialing process, which includes the successful completion of Teacher Performance Assessments
- 2+ years of experience teaching in an urban city classroom and realizing significant gains (3-5 preferred)
- Strong leadership skills and personal drive
- Relentless pursuit of high expectations
- Result-oriented and data-driven
to inspire and motivate others
and able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
to develop others
- Ability to engage and empower parents and families
- Experience in building and maintaining outstanding school culture
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Strategic planning and project management experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with or interest in 21st Century learning models
- Deep knowledge of elementary instruction (preferred)
- BA from accredited university
- Valid Teaching Credential
Deadline to apply
November 1, 2013 – First Round Deadline
January 10, 2014 – Second Round Deadline
February 14, 2014 - Third Round Deadline (pending space availability)
How to Apply
To submit your resume, cover letter and other materials, please go to the following link: http://www.rsed.org/
Rocketship Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Education complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Rocketship Education expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Education’s employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
Interested in helping us eliminate the achievement gap across the country? Join the founding team of a future region. Founders are Rocketship Assistant Principals or Principals who are committed to helping open new schools in a future region.
In addition to Assistant Principal/Principal responsibilities (see job description), founding team members make several trips each year to the expansion region and work closely with our national growth team to take on projects related to founding the new region. Projects beginning in your first year with Rocketship are designed to help founding team members gain a deep understanding of the region and begin building relationships with the community. Additionally, founding team members will help recruit current and future Rocketeers to join their team.
We’re looking for individuals to join the following founding teams:
● Indianapolis, IN
● Washington, DC
● Memphis, TN
● Dallas, TX
● San Antonio, TX
● Houston, TX
How to Apply:
On the Assistant Principal/Principal application, you will have the opportunity to indicate that you would like to join the founding team for a designated region. Applications are available at www.rsed.org.