216GreatSchools seeks Dir. of Product Development
- May 5, 2003
Director of Product Development
GreatSchools.net, is the nation's premier provider of K-12 school information. Our mission is to help parents choose, support and improve schools. We are an Internet-based nonprofit organization initially made possible by the generous support of foundations and corporations, including the Pisces Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and Washington Mutual, Inc.
Our 13-person staff is headquartered in downtown San Francisco . Our online guide to K-12 schools will serve 6-8 million users this year and is accessed at www.greatschools.net and through co-branded partnerships with a growing list of major media properties, including AOL, MSN, and the Los Angeles Times.
The Director of Product Development is responsible for planning and managing all production work for the GreatSchools.net site. Part of the GreatSchools.net management team and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this position requires experience working with interactive web products, excellent communication and management skills, and a strong technical background.
· Initiate projects into development schedule by working with the business development, sales and editorial staff to define requirements and priorities.
· Manage production team through implementation process to ensure that GreatSchools products are well-designed and functional.
· Maintain ownership of products and user experience; optimize products to drive usage, meet business goals and enhance customer experience.
· Collaborate with engineers on new development work, including writing functional specifications, managing timelines of engineering projects and communicating progress to internal and external customers.
· Gather and synthesize user and staff feedback through user testing and log analysis.
· Formulate plans and budgets for development of future products.
· Assess GreatSchools position with respect to competitive product offerings.
· Monitor GreatSchools traffic from search engines and work to optimize site to bring in additional search engine traffic.
· At least three years of experience managing products in a web-based environment.
· Clear understanding of Web development and production processes, including requirements gathering, design, development, QA and deployment.
· Strong communication and management skills.
· Ability to prioritize, balance and coordinate projects from inception to completion across multiple departments and skill sets.
· Detail oriented, able to work under deadlines and perform tasks efficiently and precisely.
· Experience working with engineers in technical Web environment.
· Basic knowledge of HTML and computer programming required; knowledge of MySQL, Perl, PhotoShop very valuable.
· Interest and experience working in non-profits and in education highly desirable.
Salary DOE. Medical, dental and vision benefits plus retirement plan. Diversity welcomed.
Please email a cover letter and resume to jobs@... with “Director of Product Development” in the subject line. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please.