Some files won't preview in external browsers

  • thebard57
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2002
      A couple of days ago, I emailed support@... with the
      observation that the Preview function of editplus sometimes seemed
      broken. When I used Mozilla or Opera as the external browser, the
      browser would =sometimes= fail to open. The same pages would appear
      fine in the "seamless browser".

      While waiting for a reply, I continued to experiment, and I think I
      found the cause. The pages that would not preview were located in a
      directory whose name included spaces. When I moved those files to a
      directory without spaces in the name, all worked OK.

      When I replaced the spaces in the directory name with "%20", all
      worked OK.

      Examples:

      If the file
      /test directory/somefile.html
      is edited, and the View In Browser button clicked, the browser will
      not view the page (unless it is the seamless browser).

      If the file
      /test%20directory/somefile.html
      is edited, and the View In Browser button clicked, all browsers WILL
      view the page correctly.

      Similarly, /test_directory/somefile.html will be previewed OK

      Interestingly, spaces in the =filename= do not confuse the preview!
      In other words, when
      /testdirectory/some file.html
      is edited, the preview is OK!

      Suggestion to the developers: When you pass the filename to the
      browser, change all embedded spaces in the pathname to "%20", or
      enclose the pathname in quotes.

      Suggestion to users: As a temporary workaround, use a "_" or "%20" in
      your pathnames, to eliminate this glitch.