EP abends when saving to FTP site

  • samadi28
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2002
      Hello,

      I've been using EditPlus for about 4 months now. I was using Textpad
      up until I required an FTP-aware editor (I started to work on Zope).

      My EP version is 2.11 (138) and my workstation is Win2000 Server.

      Perhaps one time out of 40-50 saves, EP will simply disappear from
      the screen (it abends big time!). When I restart it and re-open my
      file over FTP none of my changes were saved. I have been burnt a few
      times with this bug where I have made significant changes between
      saves.

      I'm doing the 'save early and often' thing, plus it doesn't happen
      that often, but wondering if anyone has experienced this problem.

      Several co-workers use the same editor, and they've never experienced
      the problem (they are on Win2000 Pro). Also, I'm sure I have correct
      access priveleges on the FTP account, as was discussed in a
      (related?) thread: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/editplus/message/805
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2002
        Hi samadi28,

        I think there was an earlier thread that focused on the number of
        remote files that were open.

        Please take note of how many files that you have open next time
        (before) it crashes and then maybe limit the number of files that
        you have open.

        I am using EP v2.11 (138) on Win 2000 Pro and open about 10 remote
        files - I have not had EP crash yet.

        Regards,
        Andrew.
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        + + + + + + + + + + + +
        http://www.editplus.com/
        EditPlus text editor, HTML editor, programmers editor for Windows
        + + + + + + + + + + + +

        Post message: editplus@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: editplus-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      • ~John
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2002
          There has been a patch released build (156)

          ~John

          > I think there was an earlier thread that focused on the number of
          > remote files that were open.
          >
          > Please take note of how many files that you have open next time
          > (before) it crashes and then maybe limit the number of files that
          > you have open.
          >
          > I am using EP v2.11 (138) on Win 2000 Pro and open about 10 remote
          > files - I have not had EP crash yet.

        • Christopher Sherman
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
            I Downloaded the software last week to try and get build 156 but it was
            still 138. Where is the patch available at.

            Thanks.

            Chris Sherman

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2002
              Sorry, you have to contact Sangil Kim and let him know that you would like
              to be a Beta Tester.
              He will then send you a link to where you can download the latest beta.

              ~John

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
                Hi Andrew,

                It happened again just this morning. I had 4 files open. It *may* be
                related to timing out the connection. I left the four files open (but
                saved with no further changes), and locked my PC for the night. I
                came in, made a few small changes this morning, clicked 'Save' and it
                did its disappearing trick.

                Using shareware TCPView (www.sysinternals.com) I see that
                editplus.exe holds open a couple of TCP ports when using FTP. If I
                kill them, EditPlus disappears.

                I'm fairly certain at other times, I've been actively using Editplus
                and it has not been unattended for extended periods, and it still
                behaves this way. But it's interesting that I can duplicate the
                crash this way.

                Also, all my colleagues also use Pro, I'm the only one on Server.
                Maybe this has something to do with it as well.

                Thanks for your input. :)

                --- In editplus@y..., "Andrew" <mr_aprice@y...> wrote:
                > Hi samadi28,
                >
                > I think there was an earlier thread that focused on the number of
                > remote files that were open.
                >
                > Please take note of how many files that you have open next time
                > (before) it crashes and then maybe limit the number of files that
                > you have open.
                >
                > I am using EP v2.11 (138) on Win 2000 Pro and open about 10 remote
                > files - I have not had EP crash yet.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Andrew.
              • samadi28
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2002
                  Thanks for this info John,

                  Do you know if build 156 addresses the specific problem I mention, or
                  is it just a 'newer' version to try?

                  Thanks,

                  Mike.