FTP settings

  • stephenbrereton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16, 2002
      Much as I love the ability of Editplus to access via ftp, its a pain
      that the connection has to be made again every time a file is
      uploaded again or needs downloading. I do a lot of this, debugging
      asp files and tweaking htm files, and a persistent connection like
      Dreamweaver makes would be excellent.

      Why don't I just use Dreamweaver instead? Speed, and Dreamweaver's
      (okay, Ultradev's) chronic inability to handle any complex vbscript
      files!
    • tacodisc2
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 27, 2008
        Where does v3 store ftp settings? I copied ftp.ini from an earlier
        version but none of my settings appeared in the new version. Thanks.
      • John Morse
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
          > Where does v3 store ftp settings? I copied ftp.ini from an earlier
          > version but none of my settings appeared in the new version. Thanks.

          You need to go to Tools|Set Directories then point to the directory where
          the ftp.ini file is at.
        • Michael L. Jones
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
            ftp2_u.ini

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "tacodisc2" <tacodisc2@...> wrote:

            > Where does v3 store ftp settings? I copied ftp.ini from an earlier
            > version but none of my settings appeared in the new version. Thanks.

          • Daniel Gibby
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
              I just took the plunge and downloaded the version 3 upgrade for registered
              users version.
              It seemed to copy most of my settings, but FTP settings didn't get copied.

              I tried copying my old ftp.ini to the new directory location that is in
              Tools -> Set Directories, and copying it to ftp2_u.ini but nothing is
              bringing the ftp settings into EditPlus 3.... what might I be missing?

              Thanks,
              Daniel

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
                I'm not sure what you're missing, but this is as basic as you can get:

                Open EP3 and go to the FTP Setting dialog box, which I assume will be
                empty. Create a new account with either real or dummy values. Save,
                exit EP3, and find ftp2_u.ini in your INI file directory. (Check the
                location using the Tools->Set Directories... menu item.) Double check
                the time stamp on the file to make sure that it's the right one. Open
                it and make sure that it matches what you entered. You can then try
                manually inserting your old settings. Note that I just went through
                these steps successfully.

                My guess is that your working in the wrong directory. If this fails,
                I'd just re-enter your old settings. Do you have that many?

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                  I just did exactly what you said with wierd results:

                  I opened EP3, edited the FTP settings with the dialog box (it didn't show
                  anything there to start with)
                  I saved and closed EP3, and noted that yes, the TS had been updated on the
                  ftp2_u.ini file.
                  I opened the ftp2_u.ini file in Notepad and saw the place where the new
                  bogus settings were that I entered, and they were at the bottom of the file
                  after my other old settings. They appear to be in a very different format
                  than from EP2.

                  Opening EP3 again shows only the new bogus FTP settings I added, not the
                  other settings that were already in the file.

                  I'm sure I probably need to put them in the ini file in the format that
                  EditPlus3 expects, but the new settings really do look weird, with a space
                  between every character or something like that.

                  I'll try clearing the file completely, and starting from scratch following
                  what you said.

                  Daniel

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                    I think the wierdness and the reason it wouldn't pick up my settings from
                    before were because the last entry I had for FTP servers had a server with
                    Firewall settings that were other than set to Firewall=0. There were various
                    non-readable characters in there at the bottom of the file. When EP3 tried
                    adding to the bottom, or reading from the file, it had a problem. Looks like
                    an incompatability between EP2 and EP3 related to upgrading and migrating
                    FTP servers that have that extra Firewall information in them... I'm not
                    sure what that is, but taking the entry out for the server that had that
                    fixed the problem.

                    The settings looked like this:
                    Firewall Login=BUNCHOFREADABLESTUFF
                    Firewall Login Length=18
                    Firewall=BUNCH_OF_MOSTLY_UNREADABLE_STUFF

                    It was after that entry that EP3 tried to put my 'new bogus FTP server
                    entry', but it didn't seem to want to read the file or anything above that
                    point until I took out that whole server. I'm sure I probably could have
                    changed that Firewall= line to be Firewall=0 and have it show up in the FTP
                    settings file, I just don't know whether it would have actually logged in
                    correctly. I think it was an old project I had worked on that I don't need
                    any more anyway, so I'm not worrying about it.

                    Daniel

                  • Daniel Gibby
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3, 2008
                      I take it back, it didn't work. My usernames and passwords that were
                      previously saved now are gone. Only the server and description is still
                      there. I wouldn't really call that a successful upgrade.

                      Daniel