Editplus on Linux -- how to "View in Browser"

  • yu34801p3jlfr4890q1j
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
      Hello all

      Has anyone running EP on Linux managed to get round the problem where the command to open the browser has to be an .exe file?

      For some reason I don't understand, View in Browser opens Kate, (a text editor), despite my system having Firefox as the system-wide default browser.

      If I go to add the path to Firefox in the drop down box, EP asks for an exe file, which of course I haven't got.

      I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow fake an .exe file with a divert on it to the firefox command, but I was hoping there's a simpler way.

      I'm using 3.51 on Linux Mint under Wine with a KDE desktop.

      Cliff
    • J
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
        There's no special meaning in Linux to a file being called ".exe" so you could write a one-line shell script to start your browser, call it startfirefox.exe and chmod it to be executable. The contents could be something like this:

        /somepath/firefox $*

        Subject: [edit+] Editplus on Linux -- how to "View in Browser"
        To: editplus@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, 30 June, 2013, 9:45

        Hello all

        Has anyone running EP on Linux managed to get round the
        problem where the command to open the browser has to be an
        .exe file?

        For some reason I don't understand, View in Browser opens
        Kate, (a text editor), despite my system having Firefox as
        the system-wide default browser.

        If I go to add the path to Firefox in the drop down box, EP
        asks for an exe file, which of course I haven't got.

        I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow fake an
        .exe file with a divert on it to the firefox command, but I
        was hoping there's a simpler way.

        I'm using 3.51 on Linux Mint under Wine with a KDE desktop.

        Cliff

            editplus-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
      • Cliff Laine
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
          On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 21:59:50 +0100 (BST)
          J <morrispeckham@...> wrote:

          > There's no special meaning in Linux to a file being called ".exe" so
          > you could write a one-line shell script to start your browser, call
          > it startfirefox.exe and chmod it to be executable. The contents could
          > be something like this:
          >
          > /somepath/firefox $*

          Thank you! Gosh, you learn new things every day.
        • John Smith
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2013
            i'm confused !

            According to my toolbar ZC, i have ticked "tab to expand".....but it
            doesnt work ?
            When for example i type html:5 and then click tab, nothing happens, not
            true, it tabs.
            I have to use ctr + e for it to expand.

            How or what can i use tab for expand ?

            thanks