Re: [edit+] Access denied when editing htmlbar.acp

  • Daniel Gibby
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
      My guess is this is not directly related to EditPlus, but Windows
      permissions. I found that I had to change some folder permissions depending
      on where I stored things. So it depends on whether your user has permission
      to the folder where EditPlus is saving the acp file.

      On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM, worldblessings <worldblessings@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hello, and thank you for creating this group! I am evaluating EditPlus and
      > looking to find a way to create a closed paragraph tag <p> </p>. I found
      > instructions here
      > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/editplus/message/957
      >
      > but when I edited the file, I received an error message saying "Access
      > Denied". I have Windows 7 and the newest version of EditPlus. Is this error
      > message because I have the evaluation version? I'm hoping to make sure it
      > works for me before purchasing. Thanks very much for your help!
      >
      > Best wishes,
      > Mashubi

    • worldblessings
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
        Thank you for your helpful reply! I changed the Windows permissions and have edited the file, and restarted the EditPlus editor, but I still cannot get it to create the closed paragraph tags. I checked and reopened the acp file and it did save the changes, but it is not working. Does anyone else have an idea? Best wishes, Mashubi

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Gibby <daniel.gibby@...> wrote:

        > My guess is this is not directly related to EditPlus, but Windows
        > permissions. I found that I had to change some folder permissions depending
        > on where I stored things. So it depends on whether your user has permission
        > to the folder where EditPlus is saving the acp file.
        >

        > On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM, worldblessings <worldblessings@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hello, and thank you for creating this group! I am evaluating EditPlus and
        > > looking to find a way to create a closed paragraph tag <p> </p>. I found
        > > instructions here
        > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/editplus/message/957
        > >
        > > but when I edited the file, I received an error message saying "Access
        > > Denied". I have Windows 7 and the newest version of EditPlus. Is this error
        > > message because I have the evaluation version? I'm hoping to make sure it
        > > works for me before purchasing. Thanks very much for your help!
        > >
        > > Best wishes,
        > > Mashubi

      • worldblessings
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
          Hello again, I just found a way to make it work!! :) Thank you so much for your help. I had forgotten to change the file in the second location. When I went to Users, My Username, App Data, Roaming, EditPlus3 and changed the file from there also, it worked! Perhaps there is a way for the developers to make this easier for other users that wish to use the closed paragraph option. Thanks again, I very much appreciate your help!

          Best wishes,
          Mashubi

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Gibby <daniel.gibby@...> wrote:

          > My guess is this is not directly related to EditPlus, but Windows
          > permissions. I found that I had to change some folder permissions depending
          > on where I stored things. So it depends on whether your user has permission
          > to the folder where EditPlus is saving the acp file.
          >

          > On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM, worldblessings <worldblessings@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hello, and thank you for creating this group! I am evaluating EditPlus and
          > > looking to find a way to create a closed paragraph tag <p> </p>. I found
          > > instructions here
          > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/editplus/message/957
          > >
          > > but when I edited the file, I received an error message saying "Access
          > > Denied". I have Windows 7 and the newest version of EditPlus. Is this error
          > > message because I have the evaluation version? I'm hoping to make sure it
          > > works for me before purchasing. Thanks very much for your help!
          > >
          > > Best wishes,
          > > Mashubi

        • Daniel Gibby
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
            I agree that it would be nice if Windows and the developer made it easier.
            I never had these problems with EditPlus before Windows Vista came along.
            Now I don't have the problem anymore because once you've setup EditPlus the
            way you want it you rarely change any configuration. But it would be nice.

            I'm glad you got it to work!

            On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM, worldblessings
            <worldblessings@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hello again, I just found a way to make it work!! :) Thank you so much for
            > your help. I had forgotten to change the file in the second location. When
            > I went to Users, My Username, App Data, Roaming, EditPlus3 and changed the
            > file from there also, it worked! Perhaps there is a way for the developers
            > to make this easier for other users that wish to use the closed paragraph
            > option. Thanks again, I very much appreciate your help!
            >
            > Best wishes,
            > Mashubi
            >
            > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Gibby <daniel.gibby@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > My guess is this is not directly related to EditPlus, but Windows
            > > permissions. I found that I had to change some folder permissions
            > depending
            > > on where I stored things. So it depends on whether your user has
            > permission
            > > to the folder where EditPlus is saving the acp file.
            > >

            > > On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM, worldblessings <worldblessings@
            > ...>wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            >

            > > > Hello, and thank you for creating this group! I am evaluating EditPlus
            > and
            > > > looking to find a way to create a closed paragraph tag <p> </p>. I
            > found
            > > > instructions here
            > > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/editplus/message/957
            > > >
            > > > but when I edited the file, I received an error message saying "Access
            > > > Denied". I have Windows 7 and the newest version of EditPlus. Is this
            > error
            > > > message because I have the evaluation version? I'm hoping to make sure
            > it
            > > > works for me before purchasing. Thanks very much for your help!
            > > >
            > > > Best wishes,
            > > > Mashubi

          • worldblessings
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2013
              Thank you! :) I just heard back from their support and they do have a much easier fix ... I didn't think of it because I am so non-technically inclined that I didn't realize what it meant!

              Here is their fix:

              'Preferences'->'General'->'Use XHTML tags'

              I recommended that EditPlus add the answer to our question about the closed paragraph tags to their FAQ. Thank you everyone who helped us to figure this out!

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2013
                Sorry, It also didn't occur to me to suggest XHTML. By definition, XHTML is more "strict" than the regular "HTML." I still think that the closing paragraph in HTML should be added, because even if it is allowed by most browsers, it is incorrect technically incorrect. However, XHTML will not work without closing tags.

                Good to see you solved your problem. :)
                dZ.