Trouble Ticket: wps files

  • Nick Metalkandy
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012
      Hi Folks

      Editplus opens up WPS files (Microsoft Works) but I cannot edit them.  I would like to convert them to plain text.
      Any ideas here?

      Nick
      http://penzupal.livejournal.com

    • Michael Wendell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012
        > Editplus opens up WPS files (Microsoft Works) but I cannot edit them.
        > I would like to convert them to plain text. Any ideas here?

        You might start by first simply renaming them to 'filename.txt', since you
        want to save them as plain text files anyway.

        m.
      • Peter Jarosak
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2012
          A quick google search brought up this link:
          http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/11/22/wps-files-explained-convert-wps-to-doc-for-free/

          It seems the utility mentioned is supposed to convert to txt as well.

          On Nov 2, 2012, at 8:36 PM, "Michael Wendell" <mwendell@...> wrote:

          > > Editplus opens up WPS files (Microsoft Works) but I cannot edit them.
          > > I would like to convert them to plain text. Any ideas here?
          >
          > You might start by first simply renaming them to 'filename.txt', since you
          > want to save them as plain text files anyway.
          >
          > m.

        • Brian Boulanger
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2012
            You can also open them in works and save them as text.

            ________________________________
            > Editplus opens up WPS files (Microsoft Works) but I cannot edit them.
            > I would like to convert them to plain text. Any ideas here?

            You might start by first simply renaming them to 'filename.txt', since you
            want to save them as plain text files anyway.

            m.

          • metalkandy
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
              Thank you. That worked.

              Nick

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2012
                Very true but I no longer have Works. I tried to find it somewhere and download it but it seems it only comes pre-shipped and not standalone
                so Peter's solution works best. Thanks Brian for the help though.

                Nick

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 5, 2012
                  I'm not 100% sure(too lazy to boot up my other pc and check), but I would bet money that open office can open .wps files, Pretty much any microsoft format and a host of non microsft formats are supported.