Re: Copying Text in a Keystroke Recording

  • Jody Gerst
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24, 2012
      newline is \n
      tab is \t
      ( ) surround a "tagged" expression for use when you replace as \1 \2 etc.
      [ ] surround options [0-9] is any single digit number
      . represents any character at all
      + is one or more... so ABC+ will match ABCCC but not ABDC
      * is zero or more... ABC*D will match both ABD and ABCCCCD
      ? is zero or one... A?B?C will match AC and BC and ABC and C
      ^ represents the beginning of a line (this doesn't work in Editplus
      with the alternate regex formula
      except: if ^ is in [ ] it means anything but these options
      $ represents the end of a line (not including \n)
      | is OR, so AB|C wlll match AC but will only match the AB in ABC
      I often use the construction below:

      Find:
      ^([^\n]+)(stuff): ([^\n]+)\n

      Replace with:
      \1 \2: \3 \2: \3\n

      ^ Beginning of line (using the construction below you may not need this)
      ([^\n]+) Anything that isn't a newline (Tagged Expression \1)
      (stuff): Stuff (Tagged Expression \2) and a semicolon
      ([^\n]+) Anything that isn't a newline (Tagged Expression \3)
      \n The newline character at the end of the line

      \ can also be used with any characters that need to be escaped
      Don't forget to escape literals \( \) \[ \] \* \. \? \+ \|
      for a literal \ you'd use \\
    • John C Craig
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2012
        I duplicated the problem here, so I see what you're talking about. I think
        it has something to do with using
        Alt-c to select the text. I changed that in my macro to something
        different and it started working
        correctly. After finding what you want to copy, press the left arrow just
        once to get the cursor just to the left of the
        stuff to select. (That effectively de-selects the item.) Then hold down
        the shift key while pressing the
        right-arrow key to move to the end of the stuff to select. Once the entire
        item is highlighted, press
        Ctrl-c to copy it. Move to the position desired and do the Ctrl-v paste.

      • Bill Walsh
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 25, 2012
          John,

          That did the trick. Thanks.