Re: Copying Text in a Keystroke Recording

  • Maurice Snellen
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24, 2012
      On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 at 12:04 (which was Wednesday, October
      24, 2012 at 14:04 where I am) Bill Walsh wrote:

      > As for regular expressions, I'm not too familiar with them, but from
      > what I can gather it would not work because the lines are long and the
      > text I'm searching for is somewhere near the middle, the copied text
      > must be inserted at the end near the end delimiter.

      It might still be possible, but we would need a more accurate example of
      the text you're trying to 'mangle' to come up with a solution.

      --
      Greetings,
      Maurice
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2012
        newline is \n
        tab is \t
        ( ) surround a "tagged" expression for use when you replace as \1 \2 etc.
        [ ] surround options [0-9] is any single digit number
        . represents any character at all
        + is one or more... so ABC+ will match ABCCC but not ABDC
        * is zero or more... ABC*D will match both ABD and ABCCCCD
        ? is zero or one... A?B?C will match AC and BC and ABC and C
        ^ represents the beginning of a line (this doesn't work in Editplus
        with the alternate regex formula
        except: if ^ is in [ ] it means anything but these options
        $ represents the end of a line (not including \n)
        | is OR, so AB|C wlll match AC but will only match the AB in ABC
        I often use the construction below:

        Find:
        ^([^\n]+)(stuff): ([^\n]+)\n

        Replace with:
        \1 \2: \3 \2: \3\n

        ^ Beginning of line (using the construction below you may not need this)
        ([^\n]+) Anything that isn't a newline (Tagged Expression \1)
        (stuff): Stuff (Tagged Expression \2) and a semicolon
        ([^\n]+) Anything that isn't a newline (Tagged Expression \3)
        \n The newline character at the end of the line

        \ can also be used with any characters that need to be escaped
        Don't forget to escape literals \( \) \[ \] \* \. \? \+ \|
        for a literal \ you'd use \\
      • John C Craig
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2012
          I duplicated the problem here, so I see what you're talking about. I think
          it has something to do with using
          Alt-c to select the text. I changed that in my macro to something
          different and it started working
          correctly. After finding what you want to copy, press the left arrow just
          once to get the cursor just to the left of the
          stuff to select. (That effectively de-selects the item.) Then hold down
          the shift key while pressing the
          right-arrow key to move to the end of the stuff to select. Once the entire
          item is highlighted, press
          Ctrl-c to copy it. Move to the position desired and do the Ctrl-v paste.

        • Bill Walsh
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 25, 2012
            John,

            That did the trick. Thanks.