Opening files in new windows

  • marcoalef
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13 4:01 AM
      Hi.

      I'm having a very frustrating problem. I would like to open each file in different window, not in tab, but no matter what option I set it never happens. I found out that I have to have the "allow multiple instances" checkbox checked, and I do, and I can run different editplus instances, but when I run the main program through double clicking on editplus.exe file.

      But when I right click a txt file, and chose EditPlus, and then do the same with other file, they always open in the same window, under second tab. It drives me nuts.

      Is it a bug, or something wrong that I need to set? I use the latest version btw, so 3.40

      Lucas
    • mljones1947
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14 7:45 PM
        I can't find a way to get EditPlus to behave the way you want. There isn't a command line switch or DDE command to force a new instance. (Ironically, there's a command line switch to force the file to be opened in an existing instance!)

        I don't know if I would call this a bug or just a difference in your expectations and Sangil's. I can see times when I'd want more than one instance, say for different projects, but not one for every file I open via the context menu, so I guess that I'm okay with the way that it works now.

        Gee, I've been around too long: from SDI to MDI and back again!

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "marcoalef" <marcoalef@...> wrote:

        > Hi.
        >
        > I'm having a very frustrating problem. I would like to open each file in different window, not in tab, but no matter what option I set it never happens. I found out that I have to have the "allow multiple instances" checkbox checked, and I do, and I can run different editplus instances, but when I run the main program through double clicking on editplus.exe file.
        >
        > But when I right click a txt file, and chose EditPlus, and then do the same with other file, they always open in the same window, under second tab. It drives me nuts.
        >
        > Is it a bug, or something wrong that I need to set? I use the latest version btw, so 3.40
        >
        > Lucas

      • John C Craig
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16 9:24 AM
          I have to agree that it would be very nice to have this feature. Currently,
          we have "allow multiple instance", which works well as it is. The tabbed
          MDI windows are okay, and I can force a separate instance manually but
          awkwardly if I want documents in separate windows. But how about adding an
          option for "open in new instance", such that double-clicking a txt file
          opens it in a new instance of Editplus? Double-click to open two files
          this way into Notepad and you'll see what I mean. I can think of several
          reasons why this would be a nice option. When I close Editplus I often get
          confused when it asks me if I want to first save fileA, then fileB, etc.,
          This happens because I tend to open lots of temporary work files while
          working with one or two important files. I've lost work and been frustrated
          because I've quickly said "no" to the save prompt, when I actually did have
          some content I didn't want to lose. There are times when I'd much rather
          have separate windows for each file, and when I close one I don't affect
          the others and I know exactly what I'm closing.