Re: [edit+] Re: Automatic tabs/spaces

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
      Jason,

      It's quite simple to do so per file type, but not per file itself.

      Go to Tools|Preferences|File|Settings & Syntax, select the file type, and click the "Tab/Indent" button.

      From there you select whether you want EditPlus to use spaces or tabs.

      -dZ.

      --
      Sent from my iPhone, so igmore the typpos, don't hold your breath for a reply.

      On Jan 4, 2012, at 10:59, "jason_d_judge" <jason.judge@...> wrote:

      > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "jason_d_judge" <jason.judge@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I work on many projects, some of which use tabs and some of which use spaces to indent code.
      > >
      > > There is a config setting that allows me to set the default for Editplus (v3.31) to either tabs or spaces. What I ideally want is for this setting to be set automatically on a file-by-file basis.
      > >
      > > So, for example, if a PHP file has lines that mostly (>90% of lines that start with white space, say) start with tabs, then use tabs as the setting for that file. If the PHP script mostly starts with spaces on each line, then set indentation to spaces for that file.
      > >
      > > I've not found a feature, and don't know if a plugin is available that will do this. Any pointers or hints to make this job simple and easy?
      > >
      > > -- Jason
      > >

      > Just so it is clear, I do not want to convert between tabs and space on loading a file. I just want to set Editplus so that it knows whether to use tabs or spaces after loading a file when I start editing it. I need each source file to be consistent, and not contain a random mix of tabs and spaces.

    • jason_d_judge
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

        > Jason,
        >
        > It's quite simple to do so per file type, but not per file itself.
        >
        > Go to Tools|Preferences|File|Settings & Syntax, select the file type, and click the "Tab/Indent" button.
        >
        > From there you select whether you want EditPlus to use spaces or tabs.
        >
        > -dZ.
        >
        > --
        > Sent from my iPhone, so igmore the typpos, don't hold your breath for a reply.
        >

        > On Jan 4, 2012, at 10:59, "jason_d_judge" <jason.judge@...> wrote:
        >

        > > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "jason_d_judge" <jason.judge@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I work on many projects, some of which use tabs and some of which use spaces to indent code.
        > > >
        > > > There is a config setting that allows me to set the default for Editplus (v3.31) to either tabs or spaces. What I ideally want is for this setting to be set automatically on a file-by-file basis.
        > > >
        > > > So, for example, if a PHP file has lines that mostly (>90% of lines that start with white space, say) start with tabs, then use tabs as the setting for that file. If the PHP script mostly starts with spaces on each line, then set indentation to spaces for that file.
        > > >
        > > > I've not found a feature, and don't know if a plugin is available that will do this. Any pointers or hints to make this job simple and easy?
        > > >
        > > > -- Jason
        > > >

        > > Just so it is clear, I do not want to convert between tabs and space on loading a file. I just want to set Editplus so that it knows whether to use tabs or spaces after loading a file when I start editing it. I need each source file to be consistent, and not contain a random mix of tabs and spaces.

        Yes, I can see that most settings can be changed by file type. However, I use the same file type for many different projects, each with their own standards.