Make like notepad ++

  • itsoktopickyournose
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2011
      How can i modify editplus to behave like a notepad++ feature. In Notepad++ putting the cursor anywhere inside any tag automatically highlights the corresponding opening or closing tag as well as both < and both > characters. If the closing or opening tag is missing, nothing is highlighted.

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
        Hello:
        Unfortunately, EditPlus does not have that feature.

        dZ.

        On Nov 27, 2011, at 21:20, itsoktopickyournose wrote:

        > How can i modify editplus to behave like a notepad++ feature. In Notepad++ putting the cursor anywhere inside any tag automatically highlights the corresponding opening or closing tag as well as both < and both > characters. If the closing or opening tag is missing, nothing is highlighted.
        >
        > Thanks,

      • codespaced
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2011
          Not exactly the same functionality, but handy:

          While in a tag:
          ctrl+[ jump between opening and closing tags.
          shift+ctrl+[ highlight everything between the tags

          While next to a brace (){}[] :
          ctrl+] same as above for the braces
          shift+ctrl+] this one too

          Anywhere:
          ctrl+click-a_word highlight that word

          Also, play with View > Word Highlighting and View > Brace Highlighting
          And remember that you can customize your keyboard shortcuts and toolbars any way you like.

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "itsoktopickyournose" <art@...> wrote:

          > How can i modify editplus to behave like a notepad++ feature. In Notepad++ putting the cursor anywhere inside any tag automatically highlights the corresponding opening or closing tag as well as both < and both > characters. If the closing or opening tag is missing, nothing is highlighted.
          >
          > Thanks,

        • John Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
            Hallo,

            Two quick questions, which i'm sure someone here can answer....

            1. How do you cancel find in files when its running ? ..escape does not
            seem to work
            2. Is there anyway to exclude a sub-directory in find in files ?

            thanks
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
              On Dec 13, 2011, at 03:47, John Smith wrote:

              > Hallo,
              >
              > Two quick questions, which i'm sure someone here can answer....
              >
              > 1. How do you cancel find in files when its running ? ..escape does not
              > seem to work
              > 2. Is there anyway to exclude a sub-directory in find in files ?
              >
              > thanks

              1. Escape only appears to work when the application is ready to output something. While doing work on the background it doesn't react to user input. Therefore, just keep hitting Escape until it breaks. That's what I do. There used to be a menu entry and toolbar button for "Stop" back in version 1.x, though I haven't seen it in a while versions.

              2. I don't think there is a way to exclude sub-directories, but I think you can include multiple directories with the ";" symbol. Just uncheck the "include sub-directories" option and list the paths of all subdirectories except the one you want to skip.

              (I may be confusing this with a different program, but I'm rather sure that EditPlus allows for multiple directories. I don't have Windows at this moment to try it, so my apologies if I'm wrong.)

              dZ.
            • Kelvin Wu
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
                it allows to exclude "all" sub-directories, not specified one or two
                sub-directories.

                --
                Sent from my mobile. Ignore the typos unless they're funny.

                On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 17:52, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > On Dec 13, 2011, at 03:47, John Smith wrote:
                >
                > > Hallo,
                > >
                > > Two quick questions, which i'm sure someone here can answer....
                > >
                > > 1. How do you cancel find in files when its running ? ..escape does not
                > > seem to work
                > > 2. Is there anyway to exclude a sub-directory in find in files ?
                > >
                > > thanks
                >
                > 1. Escape only appears to work when the application is ready to output
                > something. While doing work on the background it doesn't react to user
                > input. Therefore, just keep hitting Escape until it breaks. That's what I
                > do. There used to be a menu entry and toolbar button for "Stop" back in
                > version 1.x, though I haven't seen it in a while versions.
                >
                > 2. I don't think there is a way to exclude sub-directories, but I think
                > you can include multiple directories with the ";" symbol. Just uncheck the
                > "include sub-directories" option and list the paths of all subdirectories
                > except the one you want to skip.
                >
                > (I may be confusing this with a different program, but I'm rather sure
                > that EditPlus allows for multiple directories. I don't have Windows at this
                > moment to try it, so my apologies if I'm wrong.)

              • dean4086
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
                  --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, John Smith <john@...> wrote:
                  > 2. Is there anyway to exclude a sub-directory in find in files ?

                  Include subfolders by checking the box and exclude specific subfolders by putting their name in the exclude list. See help file.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
                    Ah, well, it really helps if I check the help file or the application before commenting, no?

                    Thanks,
                    dZ.

                    On Dec 13, 2011, at 04:59, Kelvin Wu wrote:

                    > it allows to exclude "all" sub-directories, not specified one or two
                    > sub-directories.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Sent from my mobile. Ignore the typos unless they're funny.
                    >

                    > On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 17:52, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> **
                    >>

                    >> On Dec 13, 2011, at 03:47, John Smith wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Hallo,
                    >>>
                    >>> Two quick questions, which i'm sure someone here can answer....
                    >>>
                    >>> 1. How do you cancel find in files when its running ? ..escape does not
                    >>> seem to work
                    >>> 2. Is there anyway to exclude a sub-directory in find in files ?
                    >>>
                    >>> thanks
                    >>
                    >> 1. Escape only appears to work when the application is ready to output
                    >> something. While doing work on the background it doesn't react to user
                    >> input. Therefore, just keep hitting Escape until it breaks. That's what I
                    >> do. There used to be a menu entry and toolbar button for "Stop" back in
                    >> version 1.x, though I haven't seen it in a while versions.
                    >>
                    >> 2. I don't think there is a way to exclude sub-directories, but I think
                    >> you can include multiple directories with the ";" symbol. Just uncheck the
                    >> "include sub-directories" option and list the paths of all subdirectories
                    >> except the one you want to skip.
                    >>
                    >> (I may be confusing this with a different program, but I'm rather sure
                    >> that EditPlus allows for multiple directories. I don't have Windows at this
                    >> moment to try it, so my apologies if I'm wrong.)
                    >>
                    >> dZ.

                  • Jody Gerst
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 13, 2011
                      > 1. How do you cancel find in files when its running ? ..escape does
                      not seem to work

                      Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't:
                      Ctrl+Break or right click the output window -> Stop
                      You can change the hotkey via Tools -> Preferences... -> Keyboard -> Types:
                      Tools -> Commands: Stop
                      You can then macro that hotkey to put a button on a toolbar.

                      When programming in Python, I usually open a cmd shell and use "taskkill /f
                      /im "python.exe"

                      If all else fails, get in the habit of saving ahead of time, and close
                      EditPlus: it'll offer to kill its processes and exit.

                    • Roger Ide
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 19, 2011
                        1. Right-click on the result window and choose 'Stop'
                        That should do it.
                        2. Doesn't seem to be