Re: [edit+] Re: WinRT - this is not a help request!

  • Peter Anderson
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
      Peter,

      Its my understanding that its mainly the UI bits that are written in HTML5
      and javaScript. Though there is no reason why it could not be more of an
      application.

      My original interest in WinRT was its ability to circumvent the use of the
      registry and the AppData directories. It is a concept similar to PC-BSD's
      PBI application installer where each application is stored in its own
      directory. Where there are dependencies on specific shared libraries then
      those libraries are installed with the application. Some say this is
      wasteful of hard disk space but in this age of multi-terabyte drives that's
      an argument that no longer has any validity.

      Windows 8 also brings the "Metro" user interface, it will be interesting to
      see how many non-Microsoft applications pick up on this feature - only the
      progressive ones I will bet. As an EditPlus "fan boy" (Yuk! what an awful
      thing to say!) I would hope my editor of choice is in the progressive camp.

      Speaking of editors of choice; I can't help trying out new and old text
      editors (though at the end of the day I still use EditPlus for "real" work).
      One I have been playing with recently was Rapid PHP - it has a really nice
      clip library feature which is more extensive and more efficient to use than
      our ClipLibs. It stores the clips in an XML file and has substitution place
      holders withing the clip so for example you can write one clip for say HTML
      <H?> elements and the clip displays a dialog to let you choose the variant
      of the heading you require. It also allows you to store clips in hierarchies
      of folders so you don't end up with a very long line of clips down the side
      of your screen (not such an issue on my 1920x1200 desktop monitor but a real
      pain on my 1024x600 netbook's monitor). Rapid PHP has a whole lot of other
      problems that make it inferior to our editor but the clip library feature IS
      better.

      Enough rambling.

      Regards,
      Peter Anderson

      On 21 September 2011 03:40, Peter Jarosak <pjarosak@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > If EditPlus were re-written to be HTML 5 and JavaScript, it would become OS
      > independent as long as those standards are supported.
      >
      > There was a recent article that I can't seem to find right now that allowed
      > networking from a client side web app and there's been successful ports of
      > Linux into JavaScript. Combining the two technologies together, there
      > doesn't seem to be any limits of what could be done.
      >
      > Peter

    • Peter Jarosak
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
        You're right that historically it's used for UI. With computers being what
        they are, the direction all the big companies are pushing for cloud and cool
        technologies like this, it'll only be a matter of time.

        http://bellard.org/jslinux/ - Linux in JavaScript - Uses the clipboard for
        interaction
        http://nodejs.org/ - This allows for server side asynchronous events.

        Now if I could get EditPlus to look like this, http://www.coderun.com/, I'd
        be willing to pay a premium to have it all my environments and always
        available on any computer that has Internet access.

        I'm excited to see what other ideas come out of the cloud.

        About the WinRT, it'll be nice that there's a Microsoft way to develop an
        application that is all in one directory and will hopefully be usable from a
        USB drive. I'm also hoping WinSXS design will improve. It's still terribly
        confusing and misleading.

        Peter

        On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Peter Anderson <peterjohnanderson@...

      • Stitch
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
          On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM you wrote:

          > About the WinRT, it'll be nice that there's a Microsoft way to
          > develop an application that is all in one directory and will
          > hopefully be usable from a USB drive.

          Rather interesting to see them moving back towards the way OS/2 was
          (which, btw, is at the heart of Windows versions going back to 3.1).

          Dave
        • Brett Patterson
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
            Just for giggles...

            http://www.geeksaresexy.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/windows.jpg

            --
            Brett Patterson

            On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Stitch <stitched@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM you wrote:
            >
            > > About the WinRT, it'll be nice that there's a Microsoft way to
            > > develop an application that is all in one directory and will
            > > hopefully be usable from a USB drive.
            >
            > Rather interesting to see them moving back towards the way OS/2 was
            > (which, btw, is at the heart of Windows versions going back to 3.1).
            >
            > Dave

          • John Smith
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
              And following up, on my previous point......

              And most of my developer friends agree on that point. Last conference I
              went to, 80% of the attendees had Macs. Half of those do Windows
              development on them. I run Linux and Windows 7 in the background while
              I work on the Mac. Doing that on a Windows machine makes it want to
              roll up into a ball and cry like a baby. I can’t take changing your
              diapers anymore.

              Here's the rest of the article which i did not write but do agree with

              http://www.lessonsoffailure.com/uncategorized/dear-microsoft/