Re: [edit+] Re: WinRT - this is not a help request!

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
      I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

      --
      Sent remotely from my iPod; so igmore teh typpos, and don't hold your breath for a response.

    • Peter Anderson
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
        Peter,

        Its my understanding that its mainly the UI bits that are written in HTML5
        and javaScript. Though there is no reason why it could not be more of an
        application.

        My original interest in WinRT was its ability to circumvent the use of the
        registry and the AppData directories. It is a concept similar to PC-BSD's
        PBI application installer where each application is stored in its own
        directory. Where there are dependencies on specific shared libraries then
        those libraries are installed with the application. Some say this is
        wasteful of hard disk space but in this age of multi-terabyte drives that's
        an argument that no longer has any validity.

        Windows 8 also brings the "Metro" user interface, it will be interesting to
        see how many non-Microsoft applications pick up on this feature - only the
        progressive ones I will bet. As an EditPlus "fan boy" (Yuk! what an awful
        thing to say!) I would hope my editor of choice is in the progressive camp.

        Speaking of editors of choice; I can't help trying out new and old text
        editors (though at the end of the day I still use EditPlus for "real" work).
        One I have been playing with recently was Rapid PHP - it has a really nice
        clip library feature which is more extensive and more efficient to use than
        our ClipLibs. It stores the clips in an XML file and has substitution place
        holders withing the clip so for example you can write one clip for say HTML
        <H?> elements and the clip displays a dialog to let you choose the variant
        of the heading you require. It also allows you to store clips in hierarchies
        of folders so you don't end up with a very long line of clips down the side
        of your screen (not such an issue on my 1920x1200 desktop monitor but a real
        pain on my 1024x600 netbook's monitor). Rapid PHP has a whole lot of other
        problems that make it inferior to our editor but the clip library feature IS
        better.

        Enough rambling.

        Regards,
        Peter Anderson

        On 21 September 2011 03:40, Peter Jarosak <pjarosak@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > If EditPlus were re-written to be HTML 5 and JavaScript, it would become OS
        > independent as long as those standards are supported.
        >
        > There was a recent article that I can't seem to find right now that allowed
        > networking from a client side web app and there's been successful ports of
        > Linux into JavaScript. Combining the two technologies together, there
        > doesn't seem to be any limits of what could be done.
        >
        > Peter

      • Peter Jarosak
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
          You're right that historically it's used for UI. With computers being what
          they are, the direction all the big companies are pushing for cloud and cool
          technologies like this, it'll only be a matter of time.

          http://bellard.org/jslinux/ - Linux in JavaScript - Uses the clipboard for
          interaction
          http://nodejs.org/ - This allows for server side asynchronous events.

          Now if I could get EditPlus to look like this, http://www.coderun.com/, I'd
          be willing to pay a premium to have it all my environments and always
          available on any computer that has Internet access.

          I'm excited to see what other ideas come out of the cloud.

          About the WinRT, it'll be nice that there's a Microsoft way to develop an
          application that is all in one directory and will hopefully be usable from a
          USB drive. I'm also hoping WinSXS design will improve. It's still terribly
          confusing and misleading.

          Peter

          On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Peter Anderson <peterjohnanderson@...

        • Stitch
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
            On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM you wrote:

            > About the WinRT, it'll be nice that there's a Microsoft way to
            > develop an application that is all in one directory and will
            > hopefully be usable from a USB drive.

            Rather interesting to see them moving back towards the way OS/2 was
            (which, btw, is at the heart of Windows versions going back to 3.1).

            Dave
          • Brett Patterson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
              Just for giggles...

              http://www.geeksaresexy.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/windows.jpg

              --
              Brett Patterson

              On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Stitch <stitched@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM you wrote:
              >
              > > About the WinRT, it'll be nice that there's a Microsoft way to
              > > develop an application that is all in one directory and will
              > > hopefully be usable from a USB drive.
              >
              > Rather interesting to see them moving back towards the way OS/2 was
              > (which, btw, is at the heart of Windows versions going back to 3.1).
              >
              > Dave

            • John Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
                And following up, on my previous point......

                And most of my developer friends agree on that point. Last conference I
                went to, 80% of the attendees had Macs. Half of those do Windows
                development on them. I run Linux and Windows 7 in the background while
                I work on the Mac. Doing that on a Windows machine makes it want to
                roll up into a ball and cry like a baby. I can’t take changing your
                diapers anymore.

                Here's the rest of the article which i did not write but do agree with

                http://www.lessonsoffailure.com/uncategorized/dear-microsoft/