Long lasting annoyances with "Reload working files on startup" + suggestions

  • gingko_fr
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2011
      Hello,

      I like very much EditPlus because of the many things it can do while staying a very light application.

      I like also its feature of being able to reload files that were previously open on last quit, despite the annoyances it has.

      I would be happy if, finally, something could be made for addressing these problems:

      It is very common that I use EditPlus for checking a file just before deleting it. But this almost always cause that on next startup, I get an error message telling that the file no longer exists, and this is true for as many missing files as there are on startup (fortunately there is an option for skipping other files, but this is not really enough).

      I suggest that, instead of displaying a blocking dialog message, this kind of warning could just be quickly added as a line in the window pane otherwise used for the "Find in files" (and other things) results.

      Another worse problem can also happen if any of the previously open file were located on a network share (or an FTP server), and these resources are no longer available on the new application startup. This can even result in a complete freeze of EditPlus, which may need up to several minutes before recovering (I'm often not that patient, and I often use the Task Manager for killing EditPlus in that case).

      So I also think that the following features could be added to EditPlus:
      1) (If possible) try to shorten the delay before cancelling the loading of not available files located on network or FTP.
      2) Add an option for, if "Reload working files on startup" is checked, NOT including in the reload these files located on network shares or on FTP servers.
      3) In any case, EditPlus could check if the "Shift" key is pressed at the time of startup, and if so, it would completely bypass the "Reload working files on startup" feature for that time.

      Gingko
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2011
        Hello:
        I believe there's an option to not load recent files on start-up. Perhaps that will help you?

        dZ.

        On Apr 28, 2011, at 06:06, gingko_fr wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I like very much EditPlus because of the many things it can do while staying a very light application.
        >
        > I like also its feature of being able to reload files that were previously open on last quit, despite the annoyances it has.
        >
        > I would be happy if, finally, something could be made for addressing these problems:
        >
        > It is very common that I use EditPlus for checking a file just before deleting it. But this almost always cause that on next startup, I get an error message telling that the file no longer exists, and this is true for as many missing files as there are on startup (fortunately there is an option for skipping other files, but this is not really enough).
        >
        > I suggest that, instead of displaying a blocking dialog message, this kind of warning could just be quickly added as a line in the window pane otherwise used for the "Find in files" (and other things) results.
        >
        > Another worse problem can also happen if any of the previously open file were located on a network share (or an FTP server), and these resources are no longer available on the new application startup. This can even result in a complete freeze of EditPlus, which may need up to several minutes before recovering (I'm often not that patient, and I often use the Task Manager for killing EditPlus in that case).
        >
        > So I also think that the following features could be added to EditPlus:
        > 1) (If possible) try to shorten the delay before cancelling the loading of not available files located on network or FTP.
        > 2) Add an option for, if "Reload working files on startup" is checked, NOT including in the reload these files located on network shares or on FTP servers.
        > 3) In any case, EditPlus could check if the "Shift" key is pressed at the time of startup, and if so, it would completely bypass the "Reload working files on startup" feature for that time.
        >
        > Gingko

      • gingko_fr
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2011
          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

          > Hello:
          > I believe there's an option to not load recent files on start-up.
          Perhaps that will help you?

          > dZ.

          Hello, and thank you very much for your answer.

          I know that there is an option for not loading files on start-up.

          But I don't want to disable it.

          Actually I WANT to have recent files reloaded on start-up.
          But I want them to be reloaded intelligently, without these annoyances
          that remove a large part of the interest of this feature.

          Gingko

        • mljones1947
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2011
            I think that the best solution is your suggestion of displaying the files that could not be opened in the Output window. This avoids the side effects of the other features you suggested:

            1) Remote resources respond at different rates. Any setting is a guess.

            2) No, this would skip remote files even if they are accessible. I don't think that you really want this.

            3) No, I hate "hidden" functionality.

            IMHO, obviously.

            --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "gingko_fr" <ldiff001@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I like very much EditPlus because of the many things it can do while staying a very light application.
            >
            > I like also its feature of being able to reload files that were previously open on last quit, despite the annoyances it has.
            >
            > I would be happy if, finally, something could be made for addressing these problems:
            >
            > It is very common that I use EditPlus for checking a file just before deleting it. But this almost always cause that on next startup, I get an error message telling that the file no longer exists, and this is true for as many missing files as there are on startup (fortunately there is an option for skipping other files, but this is not really enough).
            >
            > I suggest that, instead of displaying a blocking dialog message, this kind of warning could just be quickly added as a line in the window pane otherwise used for the "Find in files" (and other things) results.
            >
            > Another worse problem can also happen if any of the previously open file were located on a network share (or an FTP server), and these resources are no longer available on the new application startup. This can even result in a complete freeze of EditPlus, which may need up to several minutes before recovering (I'm often not that patient, and I often use the Task Manager for killing EditPlus in that case).
            >
            > So I also think that the following features could be added to EditPlus:
            > 1) (If possible) try to shorten the delay before cancelling the loading of not available files located on network or FTP.
            > 2) Add an option for, if "Reload working files on startup" is checked, NOT including in the reload these files located on network shares or on FTP servers.
            > 3) In any case, EditPlus could check if the "Shift" key is pressed at the time of startup, and if so, it would completely bypass the "Reload working files on startup" feature for that time.
            >
            > Gingko

          • Tracy
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 29, 2011
              I too have a problem with the way EditPlus handles previously open files that cannot be reopened. More often than not I open EditPlus by dropping files on it (I have a button in Directory Opus configured for just that purpose). But if there is a previously opened file that cannot be reopened, up pops that darn dialog, and the file(s) I WANTED to open are ignored! Simply displaying a message in the Output window (and continuing to load the files I passed to it) would solve my problem too.

              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "mljones1947" <mljones1947@...> wrote:

              > I think that the best solution is your suggestion of displaying the files that could not be opened in the Output window. This avoids the side effects of the other features you suggested:
              >
              > 1) Remote resources respond at different rates. Any setting is a guess.
              >
              > 2) No, this would skip remote files even if they are accessible. I don't think that you really want this.
              >
              > 3) No, I hate "hidden" functionality.
              >
              > IMHO, obviously.
              >
              > --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "gingko_fr" <ldiff001@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > I like very much EditPlus because of the many things it can do while staying a very light application.
              > >
              > > I like also its feature of being able to reload files that were previously open on last quit, despite the annoyances it has.
              > >
              > > I would be happy if, finally, something could be made for addressing these problems:
              > >
              > > It is very common that I use EditPlus for checking a file just before deleting it. But this almost always cause that on next startup, I get an error message telling that the file no longer exists, and this is true for as many missing files as there are on startup (fortunately there is an option for skipping other files, but this is not really enough).
              > >
              > > I suggest that, instead of displaying a blocking dialog message, this kind of warning could just be quickly added as a line in the window pane otherwise used for the "Find in files" (and other things) results.
              > >
              > > Another worse problem can also happen if any of the previously open file were located on a network share (or an FTP server), and these resources are no longer available on the new application startup. This can even result in a complete freeze of EditPlus, which may need up to several minutes before recovering (I'm often not that patient, and I often use the Task Manager for killing EditPlus in that case).
              > >
              > > So I also think that the following features could be added to EditPlus:
              > > 1) (If possible) try to shorten the delay before cancelling the loading of not available files located on network or FTP.
              > > 2) Add an option for, if "Reload working files on startup" is checked, NOT including in the reload these files located on network shares or on FTP servers.
              > > 3) In any case, EditPlus could check if the "Shift" key is pressed at the time of startup, and if so, it would completely bypass the "Reload working files on startup" feature for that time.
              > >
              > > Gingko

            • gingko_fr
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
                --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "mljones1947" <mljones1947@...> wrote:
                > I think that the best solution is your suggestion of displaying the
                files that could not be opened in the Output window.

                Actually, this is exactly what I was suggesting.

                > 2) No, this would skip remote files even if they are accessible. I
                don't think that you really want this.

                That's why I suggested it as an option, meaning that the EditPlus
                behavior wouln't change unless you go in the "PreferencesÂ…" dialog
                and check a (expected new) option, for example located just beyond the
                "Reload working files on startup" one, which could be named "Â…except
                if located on network or FTP".

                > 3) No, I hate "hidden" functionality.

                This should not be view as a "hidden" functionality, but rather as the
                only mean that could sometimes exists for being able to use Editplus if
                ever there was previously open files located on network shares and these
                network shares no longer exists.

                In that case, Editplus will freeze immediately at startup, whithout
                giving any chance to access any menu or command (needing to kill the
                application using the Task Manager), and sometimes the only solutions
                that I have for using it again are :

                * Powering up again the computer that is no longer available in
                network share in order to unlock Editplus, hoping that this computer is
                still available.

                * Wait for Editplus to timeout all of its network share loadings.
                This may need up to 5 minutes, maybe more if several networked files
                were open.
                * Delete the file named workspace_u.ini in %AppData%\EditPlus 3
                before reloading Editplus. Not very practical.

                With such an option, I could at least try again while keeping the
                "shift" key after having killed the frozen Editplus using the Task
                Manager, because now if I just try again, I will run again in the same
                freezing problem, as Editplus will try again to reload the same files.

                Actually, this is a kind of feature that I personally implemented on one
                of my own applications in order to solve a similar problem.

                I doubt that this kind of option could harm anybody, if people don't
                know that it exists, for them the application will just work as before.

                An alternative could also be to ignore only files located on network
                shares or FTP if the "shift" key is pressed on startup.

                Gingko