Affect All Open FIles - Create Archive (i.e. 7zip, rar, zip, etc)

  • jsabarese
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hello. Funny story-- not really-- I tried joining the /group/ only to realize i've been a member. :-)

      Anyway...

      Is there a known method by which, while working in EditPlus and having more than one file open, it is possible to archive the current instance of open files-- as in, perhaps-- "Send all open files to archive"?

      I'm aware of the Projects functionality, which isn't appropriate for the circumstance I face. For example, depending upon system configuration, EditPlus might be the default viewer for "readme.txt" files, as are set to open automatically on installation of new software. If EditPlus hasn't been used for programming in a while, sometimes these Readme files accumulate (if editplus is set to reopen previous docs). Whether the files are "readme" files, or open in EditPlus via some other method, or just-- for example-- a few random HTML and PHP files, instead of closing them for clearing the workspace, it might be nice to archive them for sorting later.

      Any ideas?

      thank you!
      -js
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
        Hello!

        Welcome to the list (again)! :)

        I'm not sure I understand your question. Could you explain it with an example? Is it that you are trying to make copies of opened files in EditPlus?

        It also looks like you are trying to make a ZIP archive file of all opened files. You could do this by setting up a compressing tool like 7Zip as an external "User Tool" in EditPlus and sending it the filenames of opened files as a command line argument.

        Please give more information on what you are trying to accomplish and we may be able to help better.

        dZ.

        On Mar 05, 2011, at 17:05, jsabarese wrote:

        > Hello. Funny story-- not really-- I tried joining the /group/ only to realize i've been a member. :-)
        >
        > Anyway...
        >
        > Is there a known method by which, while working in EditPlus and having more than one file open, it is possible to archive the current instance of open files-- as in, perhaps-- "Send all open files to archive"?
        >
        > I'm aware of the Projects functionality, which isn't appropriate for the circumstance I face. For example, depending upon system configuration, EditPlus might be the default viewer for "readme.txt" files, as are set to open automatically on installation of new software. If EditPlus hasn't been used for programming in a while, sometimes these Readme files accumulate (if editplus is set to reopen previous docs). Whether the files are "readme" files, or open in EditPlus via some other method, or just-- for example-- a few random HTML and PHP files, instead of closing them for clearing the workspace, it might be nice to archive them for sorting later.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > thank you!
        > -js

      • mljones1947
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2011
          dZ beat me to it, but maybe something like this for a user tool:

          Menu text: Archive open files
          Command: "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe"
          Argument: a -tzip C:\Backup\ReadMeFiles.zip $(WindowList)
          Initial directory: <blank>
          Action: Capture output