Problems with Windows 7 and EditPlus

  • Francesco
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
      I am new to Windows 7, so I apologize in advance if the problem is Windows and not EditPlus.

      In Windows Explorer, when I right-click a file and select EditPlus, I get a busy icon and then nothing happens. If I select "Send to EditPlus" I get a pop-up window "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" - I select Yes, then it works.

      If I double-click a file that is associated with EditPlus - I get the pop-up, I select Yes, it opens in EditPlus, but I also get another pop-up "There was a problem sending the command to the program".

      Any ideas? I changed the "Privilege Level" check-box for Administrator, but it made no difference.

      Also, how do you avoid the Windows 7 pop-up messages for programs that you know are safe?

      Thanks,

      Francis.
    • mljones1947
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
        Are you using the latest version of EditPlus (3.21)? I seem to remember somewhere along the line that there was one or more fixes for Windows 7.

        --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco" <f.mariani@...> wrote:

        > I am new to Windows 7, so I apologize in advance if the problem is Windows and not EditPlus.
        >
        > In Windows Explorer, when I right-click a file and select EditPlus, I get a busy icon and then nothing happens. If I select "Send to EditPlus" I get a pop-up window "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" - I select Yes, then it works.
        >
        > If I double-click a file that is associated with EditPlus - I get the pop-up, I select Yes, it opens in EditPlus, but I also get another pop-up "There was a problem sending the command to the program".
        >
        > Any ideas? I changed the "Privilege Level" check-box for Administrator, but it made no difference.
        >
        > Also, how do you avoid the Windows 7 pop-up messages for programs that you know are safe?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Francis.

      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2011
          I experience the same problem. The file association on Windows7 is not working with the latest version (3.21) of editpl;us

          --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco" <f.mariani@...> wrote:

          > I am new to Windows 7, so I apologize in advance if the problem is Windows and not EditPlus.
          >
          > In Windows Explorer, when I right-click a file and select EditPlus, I get a busy icon and then nothing happens. If I select "Send to EditPlus" I get a pop-up window "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" - I select Yes, then it works.
          >
          > If I double-click a file that is associated with EditPlus - I get the pop-up, I select Yes, it opens in EditPlus, but I also get another pop-up "There was a problem sending the command to the program".
          >
          > Any ideas? I changed the "Privilege Level" check-box for Administrator, but it made no difference.
          >
          > Also, how do you avoid the Windows 7 pop-up messages for programs that you know are safe?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Francis.

        • Peter Anderson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2011
            Try one of the following:

            1. Associate This! (http://www.spearit.com/about_AssociateThis.html) or
            2. FileTypesMan (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html)

            They will help you set the correct file types and program icons under
            Windows 7.

            Regards,
            Peter

            --
            There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct,
            or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction

          • Gary Fuhrman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
              I don't know about 3.21, but my Win7 machine presents no such problems with EP 3.30.

              Gary

              I experience the same problem. The file association on Windows7 is not working with the latest version (3.21) of editpl;us

              --- In editplus@yahoogroups.com, "Francesco" <f.mariani@...> wrote:

              > I am new to Windows 7, so I apologize in advance if the problem is Windows and not EditPlus.
              >
              > In Windows Explorer, when I right-click a file and select EditPlus, I get a busy icon and then nothing happens. If I select "Send to EditPlus" I get a pop-up window "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" - I select Yes, then it works.
              >
              > If I double-click a file that is associated with EditPlus - I get the pop-up, I select Yes, it opens in EditPlus, but I also get another pop-up "There was a problem sending the command to the program".
              >
              > Any ideas? I changed the "Privilege Level" check-box for Administrator, but it made no difference.

            • Acree, Michael D
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
                I have had no problems either with 32b-Win7 and EP v3.21(677)

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 20, 2011
                  As someone pointed out, the latest version is 3.30, not 3.21. There is also a patch file to bring 3.30 up to build 605, the latest officially released build. Go to www.editplus.com, and there are links on the top of the page.