Re: [edit+] switched!

  • Andy Couch
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2010
      As as long time EditPlus user that switched to Mac a few years ago, I use both TextMate and Coda. I use Coda for all the day-to-day tasks, because it manages sites/projects really well (especially when subversion is in the mix), but when I need more powerful editing like advanced regex or vertical editing, I switch over to TextMate. Coda offers an option to supply an alternate editor, so the workflow is nice. I can just choose "Open in TextMate," do what I need to do and then when I save, the changes are updated in Coda.

      Alone, neither program is equal to EditPlus, but they each also have features not found in EditPlus. It takes a little getting used to, but eventually you'll be able to ween yourself off EditPlus.

      On Aug 10, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Bronius Motekaitis wrote:

      > Hmm.. Thanks for the tips, guys. When first evaluating, I was deciding
      > between TextMate (has that grass roots following) and Coda (looks slick and
      > has lots of features). I opted for Coda at the time, but maybe I should
      > check out TextMate again (now that I am more familiar with Mac).
      >
      > Anyhow- don't want to hijack the EditPlus forum with irrelevance. However,
      > it's a testament to the purity with which EP fans speak that we can still
      > love EP when we appreciate the abstract goodness of good editors.
      >
      > -Bronius
      >

      > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:06 AM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:
      >

      >> On Aug 09, 2010, at 23:33, Justin Watt wrote:
      >>
      >>> Bronius, otherwise, if you're looking for a native Mac texteditor, my
      >>> co-workers all rave about Textmate. Just fyi.
      >>
      >> I rave over TextMate too! I love EditPlus on Windows, but at home I use
      >> TextMate on a Mac.
      >>
      >> The project has languished for years without changes, but its pretty stable
      >> and very usable. Imagine if you had been stuck with EditPlus version 2.0;
      >> sure you wouldn't have the features the latest version included, but it was
      >> still a best-of-breed editor and did its job very well. The same goes for
      >> TextMate.
      >>
      >> It is very different from EditPlus, so don't expect parity. EditPlus is
      >> purely a Windows artifact: it works in exactly the way you expect to work in
      >> Windows. Mac OS X, being an absolutely different animal, works in orthogonal
      >> ways to Windows. Likewise, TextMate works exactly the way you expect things
      >> on Mac OS X, complete with the Mac UI philosophy.
      >>
      >> Cheers!
      >> dZ.
      >>

      > --
      > http://www.bcswebstudio.com
      > web | kiosk | drupal development

    • Kelvin Wu
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2010
        It is a nightmare to use Chinese/Japanese/Korean in TextMate. Nowadays very
        few software do not support CJK, unfortuanately TextMate is one of them.

        --

        Sent from my mobile device. Ignore the typos unless they're funny.