switched!

  • Bronius Motekaitis
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
      Hello all- I've really enjoyed the community here and the distractions and
      tips provided by all. I've been working on a mac for about 6mo now and am
      absolutely loving it-- but I certainly miss EditPlus. Maybe I haven't found
      the right text editor yet, but so far, the ones people rave about are just
      not all that after the ease of use and smart keyboard shortcuts carrying
      EditPlus. That, and I am regularly lacking a PgUp/PgDwn, Home/End keys!!

      So, I'll be signing off soon. Maybe I'll check once in a while to see
      whether Sangil has released a Mac OSX version yet ;)

      -Bronius

      --
      http://www.bcswebstudio.com
      web | kiosk | drupal development

    • Justin Watt
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2010
        Bronius,

        I've used EditPlus as my primary text editor in Ubuntu (a distro of
        Linux) for many years now, running under Wine. The same should be
        possible on a Mac. Here's the instructions for Linux (which should be
        applicable to Max OS X as well):

        http://editplus.info/wiki/Running_on_Linux

        If anyone wants to create a "Running on Mac" reference in the EditPlus
        wiki, I'm sure there'd be many who'd appreciate it.

        Bronius, otherwise, if you're looking for a native Mac texteditor, my
        co-workers all rave about Textmate. Just fyi.

        Justin Watt
        http://justinsomnia.org/

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2010
          On Aug 09, 2010, at 23:33, Justin Watt wrote:

          > Bronius, otherwise, if you're looking for a native Mac texteditor, my
          > co-workers all rave about Textmate. Just fyi.

          I rave over TextMate too! I love EditPlus on Windows, but at home I use TextMate on a Mac.

          The project has languished for years without changes, but its pretty stable and very usable. Imagine if you had been stuck with EditPlus version 2.0; sure you wouldn't have the features the latest version included, but it was still a best-of-breed editor and did its job very well. The same goes for TextMate.

          It is very different from EditPlus, so don't expect parity. EditPlus is purely a Windows artifact: it works in exactly the way you expect to work in Windows. Mac OS X, being an absolutely different animal, works in orthogonal ways to Windows. Likewise, TextMate works exactly the way you expect things on Mac OS X, complete with the Mac UI philosophy.

          Cheers!
          dZ.
        • Bronius Motekaitis
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2010
            Hmm.. Thanks for the tips, guys. When first evaluating, I was deciding
            between TextMate (has that grass roots following) and Coda (looks slick and
            has lots of features). I opted for Coda at the time, but maybe I should
            check out TextMate again (now that I am more familiar with Mac).

            Anyhow- don't want to hijack the EditPlus forum with irrelevance. However,
            it's a testament to the purity with which EP fans speak that we can still
            love EP when we appreciate the abstract goodness of good editors.

            -Bronius

            On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:06 AM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

            > On Aug 09, 2010, at 23:33, Justin Watt wrote:
            >
            > > Bronius, otherwise, if you're looking for a native Mac texteditor, my
            > > co-workers all rave about Textmate. Just fyi.
            >
            > I rave over TextMate too! I love EditPlus on Windows, but at home I use
            > TextMate on a Mac.
            >
            > The project has languished for years without changes, but its pretty stable
            > and very usable. Imagine if you had been stuck with EditPlus version 2.0;
            > sure you wouldn't have the features the latest version included, but it was
            > still a best-of-breed editor and did its job very well. The same goes for
            > TextMate.
            >
            > It is very different from EditPlus, so don't expect parity. EditPlus is
            > purely a Windows artifact: it works in exactly the way you expect to work in
            > Windows. Mac OS X, being an absolutely different animal, works in orthogonal
            > ways to Windows. Likewise, TextMate works exactly the way you expect things
            > on Mac OS X, complete with the Mac UI philosophy.
            >
            > Cheers!

            http://www.bcswebstudio.com
            web | kiosk | drupal development

          • Andy Couch
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2010
              As as long time EditPlus user that switched to Mac a few years ago, I use both TextMate and Coda. I use Coda for all the day-to-day tasks, because it manages sites/projects really well (especially when subversion is in the mix), but when I need more powerful editing like advanced regex or vertical editing, I switch over to TextMate. Coda offers an option to supply an alternate editor, so the workflow is nice. I can just choose "Open in TextMate," do what I need to do and then when I save, the changes are updated in Coda.

              Alone, neither program is equal to EditPlus, but they each also have features not found in EditPlus. It takes a little getting used to, but eventually you'll be able to ween yourself off EditPlus.

              On Aug 10, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Bronius Motekaitis wrote:

              > Hmm.. Thanks for the tips, guys. When first evaluating, I was deciding
              > between TextMate (has that grass roots following) and Coda (looks slick and
              > has lots of features). I opted for Coda at the time, but maybe I should
              > check out TextMate again (now that I am more familiar with Mac).
              >
              > Anyhow- don't want to hijack the EditPlus forum with irrelevance. However,
              > it's a testament to the purity with which EP fans speak that we can still
              > love EP when we appreciate the abstract goodness of good editors.
              >
              > -Bronius
              >

              > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:06 AM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:
              >

              >> On Aug 09, 2010, at 23:33, Justin Watt wrote:
              >>
              >>> Bronius, otherwise, if you're looking for a native Mac texteditor, my
              >>> co-workers all rave about Textmate. Just fyi.
              >>
              >> I rave over TextMate too! I love EditPlus on Windows, but at home I use
              >> TextMate on a Mac.
              >>
              >> The project has languished for years without changes, but its pretty stable
              >> and very usable. Imagine if you had been stuck with EditPlus version 2.0;
              >> sure you wouldn't have the features the latest version included, but it was
              >> still a best-of-breed editor and did its job very well. The same goes for
              >> TextMate.
              >>
              >> It is very different from EditPlus, so don't expect parity. EditPlus is
              >> purely a Windows artifact: it works in exactly the way you expect to work in
              >> Windows. Mac OS X, being an absolutely different animal, works in orthogonal
              >> ways to Windows. Likewise, TextMate works exactly the way you expect things
              >> on Mac OS X, complete with the Mac UI philosophy.
              >>
              >> Cheers!
              >> dZ.
              >>

              > --
              > http://www.bcswebstudio.com
              > web | kiosk | drupal development

            • Kelvin Wu
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2010
                It is a nightmare to use Chinese/Japanese/Korean in TextMate. Nowadays very
                few software do not support CJK, unfortuanately TextMate is one of them.

                --

                Sent from my mobile device. Ignore the typos unless they're funny.