EditPlus vs. TextPad

  • e c
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010
      I like using EditPlus for text editing. But my office uses TextPad and
      won't allow getting EditPlus unless there are convincing reasons.

      Can anyone help me come up with some reasons that EditPlus is better
      than TextPad? I don't have much knowledge of TextPad to do the
      comparison.

      Thanks in advance.
      hp
    • Peter Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2010
        On 2/05/2010 11:38 AM, e c wrote:
        > I like using EditPlus for text editing. But my office uses TextPad and
        > won't allow getting EditPlus unless there are convincing reasons.
        >
        > Can anyone help me come up with some reasons that EditPlus is better
        > than TextPad? I don't have much knowledge of TextPad to do the
        > comparison.

        HP,

        This is not likely to be much help but here goes!

        I used to use TextPad for many years and found it a really good text
        editor. IMHO there is very little difference between the two. Important
        things like Clip Libraries are very similar, if you have an EditPlus
        collection then a simple "find and replace" will allow you to convert
        then across to TextPad.

        Why I switched was the terrible attitude that Helios (the developers
        behind TextPad) showed to their loyal users on their support forum. You
        simply would not be able to ask a question like this; your post would be
        removed from the forum and you would be chastised via a personal message
        for being disloyal - so much for free speech!

        I was very relieved to find another, equally as good, text editor and
        have stuck with it since.

        While some of the folks on the EditPlus mailing list can be brusque at
        times most of the support is very good and Sangil Kim (the developer) is
        quite responsive. These are probably not enough reasons to convince your
        employer to allow you to use EditPlus.

        Hope that eases your fears about TextPad.

        Regards,
        Peter
        --
        *Peter Anderson*
        There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2010
          hp-
          You won't win a battle against TextPad with colleagues or management if
          that's their tool of choice (and vice versa).

          So, the biggest reason they should allow it is because it is your most
          familiar tool, and, because they're both simply text editors (albeit rife
          with great features), nobody is stepping on anyone's toes by choosing to use
          one or the other.

          You should be able to ask for EditPlus and get it. If they don't get it for
          you, you should fork out the dough and get it yourself and not be ostracized
          for it. If this were choosing between, say, Eclipse and Visual Studio, then
          it might be different matter.

          For management to force you to use the other would be asking you to break
          your groove, and that's a poor management decision (imo).

          Good luck. Use vim and show them what's up ;)
          -Bronius

          --
          http://www.bcswebstudio.com
          kiosk | web | drupal development

        • e c
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2010
            Thanks for the reply Bronius. My office won't take familiarity as the
            reason and I don't have the admin right to install software. I don't
            think anyone in the organization uses TextPad religiously. But without
            showing technical or other kinds of benefits/necessity, I can't ask
            for EditPlus. Thanks for keeping thinking Everyone.

            hp

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2010
              You say "familiarity", I say "productivity"

              On 2 May 2010 15:48, e c <ocean1909@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the reply Bronius. My office won't take familiarity as the
              > reason and I don't have the admin right to install software. I don't
              > think anyone in the organization uses TextPad religiously. But without
              > showing technical or other kinds of benefits/necessity, I can't ask
              > for EditPlus. Thanks for keeping thinking Everyone.
              >
              > hp

              > > hp-
              > > You won't win a battle against TextPad with colleagues or management if
              > > that's their tool of choice (and vice versa).
              > >
              > > So, the biggest reason they should allow it is because it is your most
              > > familiar tool, and, because they're both simply text editors (albeit rife
              > > with great features), nobody is stepping on anyone's toes by choosing to
              > use
              > > one or the other.
              > >
              > > You should be able to ask for EditPlus and get it. If they don't get it
              > for
              > > you, you should fork out the dough and get it yourself and not be
              > ostracized
              > > for it. If this were choosing between, say, Eclipse and Visual Studio,
              > then
              > > it might be different matter.
              > >
              > > For management to force you to use the other would be asking you to break
              > > your groove, and that's a poor management decision (imo).
              > >
              > > Good luck. Use vim and show them what's up ;)
              > > -Bronius
              > >

              > > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM, e c <ocean1909@...> wrote:
              > >

              > >> I like using EditPlus for text editing. But my office uses TextPad and
              > >> won't allow getting EditPlus unless there are convincing reasons.
              > >>
              > >> Can anyone help me come up with some reasons that EditPlus is better
              > >> than TextPad? I don't have much knowledge of TextPad to do the
              > >> comparison.
              > >>
              > >> Thanks in advance.
              > >> hp
              > >>

              > > --
              > > http://www.bcswebstudio.com
              > > kiosk | web | drupal development

              > > Messages in this topic (2)
              > >

              > > http://www.editplus.com

            • Tom Ditmars
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2010
                [top-posting fixed]
                On 01-May-10 23:34, Bronius Motekaitis wrote:
                > On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM, e c <ocean1909@...> wrote:
                >> I like using EditPlus for text editing. But my office uses TextPad
                >> and won't allow getting EditPlus unless there are convincing
                >> reasons.
                >>
                >> Can anyone help me come up with some reasons that EditPlus is
                >> better than TextPad? I don't have much knowledge of TextPad to do
                >> the comparison.
                >
                > So, the biggest reason they should allow it is because it is your
                > most familiar tool, and, because they're both simply text editors
                > (albeit rife with great features), nobody is stepping on anyone's
                > toes by choosing to use one or the other.
                >
                > You should be able to ask for EditPlus and get it. If they don't
                > get it for you, you should fork out the dough and get it yourself and
                > not be ostracized for it. If this were choosing between, say,
                > Eclipse and Visual Studio, then it might be different matter.

                And even if they don't let you use EditPlus, you would actually do well
                to learn TextPad. It's a very good program.
                Tom Ditmars zarggg [at] zarggg [dot] net KeyID: 0xBB48FA7D
              • learner_
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2010
                  Thanks for another reason Peter. I'm glad to know that EditPlus is more open-minded and TextPad does have similar features. I guess I have to settle down to learn TextPad for now. It is not as intuitive as EditPlus.
                  Thanks again,
                  hp