Re: [edit+] PHP closing tag inside commented out code stops highlighting

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      Viper007Bond wrote:

      > This code breaks EditPlus' highlighting:

      The problem is that EditPlus does not properly handle nested comments,
      or in your example, nested script tags. It is the first "?>" that
      breaks it out from the "script" mode and turns the rest of the text into
      "regular" content.

      dZ.
    • Daniel Gibby
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
        As far as the PHP parser is concerned, it is fine syntax to put a comment
        around as much PHP and other mixed code as you want.

        If it is any consolation, I haven't seen other editors parse it correctly
        all the time.

        Daniel

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
          Daniel Gibby wrote:
          > As far as the PHP parser is concerned, it is fine syntax to put a comment
          > around as much PHP and other mixed code as you want.

          I thought that the PHP pre-processor parses the out the script blocks
          from the code, and then sends that to the parser. If this is the case,
          then the comment encasing the inner "<? ?>" would be ignored by the
          pre-processor.

          dZ.
        • Daniel Gibby
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
            All I know is that it works. Whether it is a pre-parser or a parser is
            potatoe or potahtoe to me.

            With the following, you'd have no output, that's all I remember. Whether or
            not the call to something_maybe_or_not.php gets parsed and included and then
            ignored isn't something I've tested. But I have seen it ignored at least.

            <?php
            /*
            bunchof stuff
            ?>other stuff
            <?php // more stuff
            include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
            ?> even more
            <?php
            */
            ?>

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
              Daniel Gibby wrote:
              > All I know is that it works. Whether it is a pre-parser or a parser is
              > potatoe or potahtoe to me.
              >
              > With the following, you'd have no output, that's all I remember. Whether or
              > not the call to something_maybe_or_not.php gets parsed and included and then
              > ignored isn't something I've tested. But I have seen it ignored at least.
              >
              > <?php
              > /*
              > bunchof stuff
              > ?>other stuff
              > <?php // more stuff
              > include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
              > ?> even more
              > <?php
              > */
              > ?>

              That code is different than the first one posted, which had nested code
              blocks.

              In any case, it is irrelevant because, as I said before, EditPlus does
              not handle nested comments or script blocks. It is indeed a limitation
              of the application, but it has been like that forever.

              I suggest you send a bug report or feature request to Sangil Kim.

              dZ.
            • Daniel Gibby
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

                > Daniel Gibby wrote:
                > >
                > > <?php
                > > /*
                > > bunchof stuff
                > > ?>other stuff
                > > <?php // more stuff
                > > include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
                > > ?> even more
                > > <?php
                > > */
                > > ?>
                > >

                > That code is different than the first one posted, which had nested code
                > blocks.
                >
                > In any case, it is irrelevant because, as I said before, EditPlus does
                > not handle nested comments or script blocks. It is indeed a limitation
                > of the application, but it has been like that forever.
                >
                > I suggest you send a bug report or feature request to Sangil Kim.
                >
                > dZ.

                I'm guessing that the this example is actually what the original poster
                meant, he just left out some of the closing PHP tags.

                There is a PHP block nested within the comment in either case, it is just
                that one would be valid PHP syntax if you took away the comment and the
                other wouldn't.

                I think PHP handles either one the same way though. It just ignores
                everything until it finds a closing */ within some PHP block somewhere.
                As far as EditPlus handling it, I agree, seems like a feature request to
                me...

                Daniel

              • Toft Stade
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                  "seems like a feature request to
                  me..."

                  Seems like abug to me but as mentioned earlier it's been like this
                  forever. Happens with javascript, asp and other languages too.
                  I usually just ignore it or put in another fake comment to fix
                  highlighting.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                    Toft Stade wrote:

                    > "seems like a feature request to
                    > me..."
                    >
                    > Seems like abug to me but as mentioned earlier it's been like this
                    > forever. Happens with javascript, asp and other languages too.
                    > I usually just ignore it or put in another fake comment to fix
                    > highlighting.

                    To be sure, it is a bug: EditPlus does not handle nested structures
                    which are valid within their own language definitions.