Re: [edit+] Re: PHP closing tag inside commented out code stops highlighting

  • Bronius Motekaitis
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      Has anyone confirmed that this is valid php syntax? That php itself will
      put precedence to /* block comments */ over <?php tags?

      --
      http://www.bcswebstudio.com
      kiosk | web | drupal development

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
        Viper007Bond wrote:

        > This code breaks EditPlus' highlighting:

        The problem is that EditPlus does not properly handle nested comments,
        or in your example, nested script tags. It is the first "?>" that
        breaks it out from the "script" mode and turns the rest of the text into
        "regular" content.

        dZ.
      • Daniel Gibby
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
          As far as the PHP parser is concerned, it is fine syntax to put a comment
          around as much PHP and other mixed code as you want.

          If it is any consolation, I haven't seen other editors parse it correctly
          all the time.

          Daniel

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
            Daniel Gibby wrote:
            > As far as the PHP parser is concerned, it is fine syntax to put a comment
            > around as much PHP and other mixed code as you want.

            I thought that the PHP pre-processor parses the out the script blocks
            from the code, and then sends that to the parser. If this is the case,
            then the comment encasing the inner "<? ?>" would be ignored by the
            pre-processor.

            dZ.
          • Daniel Gibby
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
              All I know is that it works. Whether it is a pre-parser or a parser is
              potatoe or potahtoe to me.

              With the following, you'd have no output, that's all I remember. Whether or
              not the call to something_maybe_or_not.php gets parsed and included and then
              ignored isn't something I've tested. But I have seen it ignored at least.

              <?php
              /*
              bunchof stuff
              ?>other stuff
              <?php // more stuff
              include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
              ?> even more
              <?php
              */
              ?>

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                Daniel Gibby wrote:
                > All I know is that it works. Whether it is a pre-parser or a parser is
                > potatoe or potahtoe to me.
                >
                > With the following, you'd have no output, that's all I remember. Whether or
                > not the call to something_maybe_or_not.php gets parsed and included and then
                > ignored isn't something I've tested. But I have seen it ignored at least.
                >
                > <?php
                > /*
                > bunchof stuff
                > ?>other stuff
                > <?php // more stuff
                > include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
                > ?> even more
                > <?php
                > */
                > ?>

                That code is different than the first one posted, which had nested code
                blocks.

                In any case, it is irrelevant because, as I said before, EditPlus does
                not handle nested comments or script blocks. It is indeed a limitation
                of the application, but it has been like that forever.

                I suggest you send a bug report or feature request to Sangil Kim.

                dZ.
              • Daniel Gibby
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                  On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM, DZ-Jay <dz@...> wrote:

                  > Daniel Gibby wrote:
                  > >
                  > > <?php
                  > > /*
                  > > bunchof stuff
                  > > ?>other stuff
                  > > <?php // more stuff
                  > > include('something_maybe _or_not.php');
                  > > ?> even more
                  > > <?php
                  > > */
                  > > ?>
                  > >

                  > That code is different than the first one posted, which had nested code
                  > blocks.
                  >
                  > In any case, it is irrelevant because, as I said before, EditPlus does
                  > not handle nested comments or script blocks. It is indeed a limitation
                  > of the application, but it has been like that forever.
                  >
                  > I suggest you send a bug report or feature request to Sangil Kim.
                  >
                  > dZ.

                  I'm guessing that the this example is actually what the original poster
                  meant, he just left out some of the closing PHP tags.

                  There is a PHP block nested within the comment in either case, it is just
                  that one would be valid PHP syntax if you took away the comment and the
                  other wouldn't.

                  I think PHP handles either one the same way though. It just ignores
                  everything until it finds a closing */ within some PHP block somewhere.
                  As far as EditPlus handling it, I agree, seems like a feature request to
                  me...

                  Daniel

                • Toft Stade
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                    "seems like a feature request to
                    me..."

                    Seems like abug to me but as mentioned earlier it's been like this
                    forever. Happens with javascript, asp and other languages too.
                    I usually just ignore it or put in another fake comment to fix
                    highlighting.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                      Toft Stade wrote:

                      > "seems like a feature request to
                      > me..."
                      >
                      > Seems like abug to me but as mentioned earlier it's been like this
                      > forever. Happens with javascript, asp and other languages too.
                      > I usually just ignore it or put in another fake comment to fix
                      > highlighting.

                      To be sure, it is a bug: EditPlus does not handle nested structures
                      which are valid within their own language definitions.